Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some shooters stand with their feet right at the edge (N, S, E or West!) of each station. Toes barely legally located - to try and squeeze an advantage in angle, distance from target or house, or whatever.
Is this realistic or just a mental advantage :?:
It is difficult to see any significant physical advantage - but an advantage is an advantage I guess - be it a minor physical one or a mental one :D
Thanks, Ian

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Ian, I'm guilty... I like the feel of the edge of the pad under my arch. The rule book I believe says, any part of both feet must be in the box, or on the pad. I just like the grip I get when I hook my feet on the pad. I'm not looking for an advantage by angle... just like it. :lol:

bd

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BD - it's just that a very experienced shooter suggested to me, while I was standing on Station 5, that I hang my heels over the station pad. From what I understood him to say (under my ear muffs!) there was some particular geometrical benefit...angles.....??
Must seek him out again and ask him about it.
Cheers, Ian

G

·
I know a guy that shoots from his knees, two feet in front of the pad with just his toe tips touching the cement. He claims being lower gives him a better aspect on the target, exposing extra target surface to the shot instead of edge-on. He also says being closer cuts down his circular error of aim.

The rule book states you must STAND with any portion of both feet touching the cement so I think his posture is a stretch. If he was any good I would secretly protest his position with the NSSA and have his card removed for cheating for at least a year, then admit to nothing or remain silent when he publically wondered who gave him the fickle finger.

This fellow also shoots an automatic with a 35" barrel. He says having the shot that much closer to the bird when starting is the next best thing to being there. I searched hard but can find no rule prohibiting long barrels, my own barrel being smaller than average.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A most amazing story Mike. Kneeling!!
:shock:
A few dubious theoretical assumptions there by the 'kneeler'.
He may claim he is 'standing' on his knees - though this might be a bit difficult to defend.
Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
He claims being lower gives him a better aspect on the target, exposing extra target surface to the shot instead of edge-on.
Hmmmmmm........

We have a father/son team at our Club who are "little people".....hope that's the politically correct term nowadays. 8)

This "being lower" theory doesn't seem to help them much. Then again...maybe they just need to practice more. :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
High 2 and low 6 are the toughest targets visually. I am mostly outside the "box" with just my toes touching the corner of the pad farthest from the window. It's not a dramatic change of perpective, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
In English skeet we have to stay within the square & are not allowed to hang over at all. I seem to remember hearing that once a ref didn't say anything to a shooter who was slightly hanging over with one foot then after they had killed the target announced that it was " lost target -foot fault". I think the shooter stormed off disgusted but the decision was not withdrawn!
I get really cross when I get on a skeet pad & there is no skeet box laid out- just an Olympic skeet one (ISU we call it) which is set at a different angle. I find this takes me out of the zone as instead of instantly knowing where I stand I have to check it in a different way to normal & makes my set up routine different

:roll:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
not sure if you meant me lowgun but I've never even looked at a rule book let alone being able to quote from one :oops:
I was talking about the difference between English skeet & ISU not NSSA skeet. In ES the square on the pad is not at angle but in ISU it is- this is just one of the annoying differences between ES & NSSA :roll: not to mention the slower target speed & the pair on 4 we have instead of station 8 :twisted:

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I do something similar to jeffrenk on stations 2 and 6. I stand as far back on the pad as I can away from the field. I was taking a class from John Shima in Idaho last year and he commented on my foot position and asked why I did not stand on the front edge of the pad. I asked him if the thought those two stations would be easier to shoot if I stood back 10 feet and he said yes they would be as the distance would help but we were not talking about 10 feet. I then asked him if 10 foot would help, would not 3 feet help some. John got this smile on his face and nodded in agreement. Of course he then had me shoot all over the place off the pad at station 6, the sadistic sob, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.