Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pick up a pair of shooting glaases and could use some input on what you all would recommend. I'm in Sacramento, CA and most the time its sunny, but with fall soon approching we get our fair share of toole fog, sometimes it last all day.

Thanks,

Frank

·
Premium Member
11,274 Posts
Are you asking about colors or brands ? As far as colors you'll need to try some different colors to find out what works for you.Most folks see/utilize colors differently and what folks suggest may not be what works for you.

Brands there are several good quality ones out there,how much do you have/want to spend ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent points Hopper,

1) Yes on the manufactures. I use Costa for fly fishing but they don't make shooting glasses
2) Price.....Good glasses are $200++. That works for me
3) Color. Anything but clear. Amber is my #1 pick but don't think it works well with clay birds

4) my favorite lense is the Varnet Skylinx. But its glasss and I don't think using it for shooting is the best choice. For color and sfatety reasons

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jerry,

I wasent considering a multi color lense set....never had one before. Excellent idea, I like the price point as well.

Frank

·
Registered
439 Posts
I live in your area, Frank. I have found what works best for me is a pair of Oakley prism golf glasses for the sunny days. On overcast of fog days I use a prizm trail. The trails and the golf make the orange pop but the golf lenses are much easier on the eyes on sunny days. They are both very high definition. With the golf lenses, you can see shadows and rings on the target.

I have a nice pair of Rangers, but I am too lazy to be switching lenses. They also are pretty ugly on..... Yes, I like to look good in my glasses.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I have used a variety of shooting glasses over the years and my only recommendation is get ones with changeable lenses. Then if you want another color or you start to need RX you only have to get new lenses for frames that already are to your liking.

Bob

·
Premium Member
11,274 Posts
Savannah said:
but I am too lazy to be switching lenses.
I don't change during a shoot,decide which color before starting and go with it :D

Here lately just using the darker(which aren't dark at all per say) HD lenses and the others don't see much use.If it's going to be pretty over cast,low light stc I'll use the lighter colored ones then.

SouthernPhantom said:
use cheap Z81+-rated safety glasses.
I used to think my cheap Beretta glasses were good enough till I tried ones with better quality lenses,WOW a heck of a difference in clarity.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I bought a set of Oakley Reap Tombstone shooting glasses recently. I like them a lot.

Not sure where they come up with that name, but good glasses.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I bought a set of Oakley Reap Tombstone shooting glasses recently. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I have a pair of Randolph Ranger Classic shooting glasses, and I went with 3 lens tints

Dark Purple for bright sunny days and especially when snow is on the ground
Vermilion for general use
Light Yellow for low light/overcast days

Personally I would encourage the different lens tints, I certainly find it an advantage.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I currently have Oakley Radar frames with 5 lenses. VR28 which I use to use all the time but no longer do, yellow for low light/night or pistol/rifle, clear that I don't use for clay shooting, and then a purple and medium HD Randolph ranger falcon lenses someone cut down to fit the Oakley Radar frames (they don't fit well but I love these lenses).

After using the Randolph Falcon lenses someone cut up (I bought from a member on this forum) I decided to buy the actual Randolph falcon frames with Medium HD, CMT, and max-light lenses. I haven't got them yet but as I said I have two lenses someone cut to fit my Oakley frames I've been using for 8+ months and I love them. I've also handled other members REs at the gun club. They are by far better then the Oakley lenses I own. Oakley doesn't make very many lenses that are actually good for the clay sports IMO and I wouldn't recommend them to someone who shots trap, skeet, or sporting clays.

If you're serious about the Clay sports look at Decot, Randolph Ranger and if you can afford them Pilla are top of the line. I've handled all three and like all three but I think the randolphs are as good as the Pillas with a better price tag. I suggest at least three lenses. Something light (like a yellow) for overcast/low light/night shooting, something with a little tint (orange, vermilion, light purple) for most of your daytime shooting and something dark for bright days/sunny snow days (dark orange, green, brown, dark purple). Good shooting lenses usually dull out green and blue but make orange pop. Also I suggest finding either a store to try out lenses or a club with members willing to let you look through there glasses. Everyone's eyes are different and what one person loves you might not.

Just my .02

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you are interested in any of the Ranger line, I can walk you through the pros and cons of each, based on feedback from many clay shooters. Shoot me a pm with your phone number and we can discuss options most efficiently in person.

Good luck and safe shooting.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I have shot some of my best scores with the clear safety glasses I have to wear at work. They have bifocal readers on the bottom so that I can actually read the score sheet after a round of trap.
That's a feature I wish was more available in regular shooting glasses for those of us who don't need correction to see distance but have aging eyes that can't focus at reading distances anymore.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Trapperjohn01 said:
If you are interested in any of the Ranger line, I can walk you through the pros and cons of each, based on feedback from many clay shooters. Shoot me a pm with your phone number and we can discuss options most efficiently in person.

Good luck and safe shooting.
If this forum had a like button I would click it. Dave built my shooting glasses and could not be happier. In addition, Dave is the coordinator for the Calguns SoCal Skeet Clinics in addition to an avid skeet shooter himself. He knows his stuff when it comes to shooting glasses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts