Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thinkin about it, the pump is not best suited for a prone position - seems like it would be rough on the elbow of the pumpin arm.. :roll:

·
Registered
9 Posts
It isn't easy but neither is it impossible.
You need to roll slightly to the strong side. Some may also need to rotate the gun to the strong side as well.
Once the support side elbow is off the deck you can cycle the action.
Get back into position- repeat as necessary.

Doctrinally, the shotgun is a close range weapon. Prone as a stable position might be used when launching slugs or when no other cover is available.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Welcome Pat 8)

·
Registered
885 Posts
It is difficult, but can be done as described. Prone with a pump is not fast for follow up shots, but as a stable platform for single shots, it would work just as good as with a rifle.

In the class I took recently we did what the instructor called SBU Prone. It can be used on the ground to shoot under a car more effectivly than standard prone, or over a wall, to only expose a VERY small part of you to the target. If you have a low cover to work with, that is too high for actual prone, you could also go to Supine.

Editted to add: Welcome Mr. Rogers, I think you'll like the neighborhood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Sir!
I teach Supine, Urban and SBU at my carbine classes.

Asymetrical positions are what people find themselves in during a fight, and while not always as stable as conventional prone, they are more useful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The term is "Paddy", as in where they grow rice.. :D
But no, it is not a squat.

We teach this
Supine- flat on back (shoot over obstacle)
Urban- Flat on stomach, strong side arm under you, right side of gun flat on deck (shoot under obstacle)
SBU- Also to shoot under, but strong arm out and ejection port up.

This is the way we named it 15 years ago- others may have their own names for it.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Welcome Pat!

I'm kind of new on this side of the forum world as well.

Turnz's Shotgun class was with Sully.

Edits consolidated into the post below.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Many years ago I qualified with the shotgun on a 30 round course. 10 rounds were from the prone and required shooting multiple targets. At the time (1981) we were not taught any variations on the prone just a basic position and to rack while leaning over the weak side.

I currently shoot local three gun matches with my 870 but have not had any courses of fire for the shotgun from prone. Looks like something to go practice up on. :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Pat,

I think Greg may teach what you are calling "Urban Prone" as a variation on SBU prone:

From top: AK and AR in traditional SBU, MP5 (left-handed rifle shooter) running a variation where his dominant arm is underneath. Silly guy (a good friend) couldn't get completely flat due to the chest rig. :oops:

The way I remember it, Sully also uses the nomenclature of "Cooper Prone" or "Rollover Prone" to acomplish similar positional shooting (though the execution is a bit different than how you described it above):

Body position of inline, parallel, or opposed to the target didn't seem to make a huge difference in practicality as long as you were making use of available cover properly.

ETA: Can't seem to keep my finger off the edit button. Spellcheck is my friend (too bad I don't visit him often enough). :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts