Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to the skeet world. Went shooting with a buddy of mine a couple of times and loved it. Recently bought a Remington SPR 453 (I know its a cheap russian import, but I dont have alot of money). I used Winchester Universal Load (2 3/4", 1 1/8th oz. shot, 3 Dram, 7 1/2 shot) and the gun would NOT cycle correctly. It is only cycling 3/4 of the way, and loading the empty shell back into the chamber. I DID adjust the gas cylinder almost all the way to light loads, with no avail. I bought a box of federal with the same specs as the Winchester but with #8 shot and it cycled correctly 95% of the time.

My qustions are: What other shells can I get that would be a higher dram for skeet shooting? Are there rules against using Sporting Clay load on a Skeet range? Is there anything I can do to improve the possibility of the gun cycling?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Skeet rules say 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot. Nothing bigger, nothing smaller. Try some Remington Nitro 27 shells (save and sell the gold hulls). It may be that your new shotgun needs a little breaking in, and will smooth out with time and handle lighter loads.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
There are no velocity limits in skeet. There are recoil limits to your body, however, which you are going to find very quickly shooting hot loads through that gun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
admiralriker said:
Hey everyone,

New to the skeet world. Went shooting with a buddy of mine a couple of times and loved it. Recently bought a Remington SPR 453 (I know its a cheap russian import, but I dont have alot of money). I used Winchester Universal Load (2 3/4", 1 1/8th oz. shot, 3 Dram, 7 1/2 shot) and the gun would NOT cycle correctly. It is only cycling 3/4 of the way, and loading the empty shell back into the chamber. I DID adjust the gas cylinder almost all the way to light loads, with no avail. I bought a box of federal with the same specs as the Winchester but with #8 shot and it cycled correctly 95% of the time.

My qustions are: What other shells can I get that would be a higher dram for skeet shooting? Are there rules against using Sporting Clay load on a Skeet range? Is there anything I can do to improve the possibility of the gun cycling?
I assume you took it completely apart before its first use adn cleaned all the preservative oil out, and gave it a very light coat of a decent gun oil. Often this is all an autoloader needs in order to cycle properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Broke the gun down to basic parts. Scrubbed the entire thing (inside and out). Lubed everything that would need it. Just went out and tried two more Winchester Universals that I described above. I had a friend watch my action and he said that the dang bolt goes 3/4 of the way and tries to load the empty shell back into the barrel. The gun is set to light loads and it still wont cycle correctly. I have put over 100 rounds through it too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you take out an clean the recoil spring?

I know ALL of my autos have the occasional probably with the universals. I think it's probably due to improper sizing of the heads. I shoot federal topguns almost exclusively, and my guns never miss a beat with them. (I'm using 3 dram, 1 1/8oz, 1200 fps).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleaned EVERYTHING. Cleaned and Lubed. The Federals worked flawlessly. I just couldnt understand the difference (if it is INDEED the shot size making the difference). Like I said, turned it all the way to "Light Loads" and it just wont cycle those dang universals.....

It's ok though. I can get a box of Federal for $6 up here so, I'm not too upset. Now that I know I can get a hotter round, I should be ok.

·
Registered
106 Posts
yeah, the shot size shouln't make a difference. the gun doesn't care if it's 1 oz of no. 8 or 1 oz of 3 or 4's. Those universals aren't really good for anything. Maybe a pump. As for shot size, That's good to hear that the federals work for you. Federal makes fantastic ammo, and I shoot it exclusively in all my guns (never had a need to shoot anything else but federal). You shouldn't have to settle for a hotter round though. Try the federal 7/8 oz topguns and see what happens too.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
You won't be able to get that gun to break in using target loads. Wander over to the Baikal forum... these guys break in with 100 or more rounds of heavy 3.5 inch loads :shock: Of course, by the time you finish breaking in the gun, you've spent 1/3 of the price of the gun on break in ammo...

Best bet-- get rid of that gun and do what you should have done in the first place-- buy a Remington 1100, 1187, or Beretta 390, 303, etc...

·
Registered
77 Posts
drsfmd said:
You won't be able to get that gun to break in using target loads. Wander over to the Baikal forum... these guys break in with 100 or more rounds of heavy 3.5 inch loads :shock: Of course, by the time you finish breaking in the gun, you've spent 1/3 of the price of the gun on break in ammo...

Best bet-- get rid of that gun and do what you should have done in the first place-- buy a Remington 1100, 1187, or Beretta 390, 303, etc...
Come on dr the guy states in his first post that money was an issue and he bought what he could afford right now, so don't beat him up telling him that he should spend more. I just watched a friend go through the same frustration with a Beretta 390 and some light loads.

Dead Eye

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have heard of this problem before with a 391. What the guy did was take it apart and inspect the gas ports. Found one or 2 were not drilled right, so he took a small drill bit and opened them up the rest of the way.

Don't know if this is what is causing your prob, but it's worth taking a look.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
deadIdick said:
drsfmd said:

Come on dr the guy states in his first post that money was an issue and he bought what he could afford right now, so don't beat him up telling him that he should spend more. I just watched a friend go through the same frustration with a Beretta 390 and some light loads.

Dead Eye
Dead Eye, what drsfmd is referring to is the phenomenon that some new-to-gun-buying gun buyers experience: that they simply must buy new. The op could have, for the same money spent, or for perhaps a fuzz more, purchased a used auto of much, much, much higher quality and still in fantastic condition.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dead Eye, what drsfmd is referring to is the phenomenon that some new-to-gun-buying gun buyers experience: that they simply must buy new. The op could have, for the same money spent, or for perhaps a fuzz more, purchased a used auto of much, much, much higher quality and still in fantastic condition.
Are you and drfmd going to provide the guarantee on this much, much, much, higher quality gun? I didn't think so.

What purpose does it serve to tell someone who has purchased a new gun, and stated it was a budget issue, to try and bust his chops and tell him what he should of done?

Dead Eye

·
Registered
77 Posts
DrJim said:
I have heard of this problem before with a 391. What the guy did was take it apart and inspect the gas ports. Found one or 2 were not drilled right, so he took a small drill bit and opened them up the rest of the way.

Don't know if this is what is causing your prob, but it's worth taking a look.

Jim
Thanks DrJim. I have a 391 and have never had a problem with even the lightest load. It was however well broken in when I first shot skeet with it. My point is that just buying a higher price gun is an not automatic guarantee that it is immediately going to cycle light loads. My friend was shooting some reloads and that certainly could have been the issue as well.

Dead Eye

·
Registered
106 Posts
admiralriker said:
Gonna try more federal ammo. I didnt see a 7/8 oz Top Gun shell on their site tho.....
yeah, sorry. That's my bad. The 7/8 oz loads are only 20 ga in the top guns. They only go down to 1 oz for the 12's.

·
Registered
757 Posts
deadIdick said:
Thanks DrJim. I have a 391 and have never had a problem with even the lightest load. It was however well broken in when I first shot skeet with it. My point is that just buying a higher price gun is an not automatic guarantee that it is immediately going to cycle light loads. My friend was shooting some reloads and that certainly could have been the issue as well.

Dead Eye
Ahhh... DE, I see... He's your friend... That explains a lot! :D

Many, many people do not know that semi auto's need a break in. If the factory took the time and expense to break every one in, it would cost them a fortune. If they made the guns looser so every one shot first time every time with light loads, they wouldn't last as long. The factories do quite well, but every once in a while an extra tight gun gets out the door. Could be what your friend has. I have seen a World Champion SC shooter break in several guns. Usually his mech takes about 4 boxes of the hottest, heaviest loads he can find laying around, and after a the gun has had a complete cleaning, he takes it out and loads and shoots all 4 boxes as fast as he can. After that he lets the gun cool completely, (an hour or 3) then takes it appart and gives it another complete cleaning.

Will some semi's shoot light loads right out of the box? Sure, lots of'em. Will all semi's shoot light loads when they are NIB? No, some need a good break in.

If this is the way a World Champ SC shooter, sponsored by Beretta does it with the guns Beretta sends him... :D That's probably a prettY good way to do it.

Best to you and your bud DE,
Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
DrJim said:
Ahhh... DE, I see... He's your friend... That explains a lot! :D
It actually is a true story and it was a friend. They worst part is we were shooting on a three man team at a charity event and he ended loosing 3 or 4 birds because of gun problems. His gun was not new and he has shot a number of rounds of skeet with it. They were his reloads and I am sure in this case that was the major problem.

I have a 391 that was first shot duck hunting with 3.5 inch mags and when I first started shooting skeet three years ago I took it to the skeet field and have never had a problem with light loads.

Dead Eye

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.