Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK you guys out there who know it all: Iam about to buy a shotgun for my husband. He shoots with our grown sons, they have benelli nova's. I checked around for something specical for him. i've decided on a benelli sport 2 with the walnut 12 g. Its a wonderfull looking gun. BUT is this the one?????????????? I would love some feed back. thanks sweetguns. the best pricing i'v found around is $1,800

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
Well, what's he going to use it for?

Quite frankly, buying a gun is a personal choice. Maybe he's always coveted an O/U or a SxS. Is he a sporting clays shooter, trap shooter, or a hunter? Has he said he wants the Super Sport? The element of surprise is overrated, especially when you're talking this amount of money. Give him an IOU or two grand in cash in a card or go shopping with him.

JMHO from the man who has had the Mrs. buy 4 guns for him.

·
Registered
526 Posts
sweetguns - Your intentions are the wonderful. Since it would be great to have something to go "under the tree" I wonder if the seller you have in mind would be willing to make the sale "on final approval" of your man. Guns are a very subjective purchase, and even more so since gun fit is so important.

Another alternative, get him a copy of Rollin Oswald's book, "Stock Fitting Secrets" ( http://stockfitting.com/ ) and enclose a check for the amount you can afford towards a new gun inside the book.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
Xmas?

Doesn't your keyboard have a C, H, R, I, and T key on it? I see it does have an S key though.

Maybe I'll start a new religious sect, Xians!

Oh, I'm sorry, I bet the X is to be politically correct? :?

Just a really big pet pieve of mine.

Do we celebrate CHRISTmas or Xmas?

BP
:roll: Someone asks for some honest assistance so she can get something special for her husband and catches this.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Another option would be to take a screen print of the shotgun you think he may want and a put it in an envelope along with a "gift certificate" good for one shopping trip to pick out the shotgun he likes.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Holidays are often an emotional time. Recognition to Burnt Powder for his retraction of a sincere initial reaction to the "X" in Xmas. And, a peaceful Christmas aside - http://www.cresourcei.org/symbols/xmasorigin.html

Abbreviations used as symbols have a long history in the Christian church. The New Testament was written in Greek. The first two letters of "Christ" are the Greek letters chi (c or C - written as "X") and rho (r or "R"). These letters were used in the early church to create the chi-rho monogram (see Chrismons), a symbol that became part of the official battle standard of the emperor Constantine.

Here is another look - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas Hope we can keep it in the Spirit of the Season and encourage a thoughtful and generous questioner in her beautiful quest to make someone very happy.

Here is a link on the subject of the original question - http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/superSport.tpl Certainly looks the business to this shooter of side by sides, who is not nearly so generous - giving as presents such goodies as Goerge Digweed's DVD "Guide to Perfection in Sporting Clays" and copies of Bob Brister's book "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science." Shoot Safe, SidelockSxS

·
Registered
951 Posts
There are people of all kinds that use the "X". To me it is there own choice (not yours) weather to use it. Your religious beliefs are just that, "yours" not theres. So get off the preaching thing and lets get back to shotguns. Regards from Idaho

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well to get back to the question that the nice lady asked,I think the Sport II would be very nice.Check with your sons to make sure this is what he is leaning towards and also shop around. Able ammo has them listed for $1400.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
bhutch0468 said:
Check with your sons to make sure this is what he is leaning towards and also shop around.
If he shoots regularly with the kids then they will be a great resource to help figure out what he really wants. My dad and I "talk guns" pretty regularly and I know what kinds of guns he has on his want list. If you can't get it narrowed down that way some of the gift card suggestions may be the way to go.

John

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sweetguns,

Maybe you could.... and this happend to me and I thought it was cool my wife took me out to the shop and said "what would you prefer I could not make up my mind...can you help me?" and I was floored.
It was pretty cool something I will remember for a long while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so xmas was a quicky was to say christmas, you guys must not be getting any to be grumby about that. I was asking about the gun.............. I love surprizes, I just wanted to SURPRIZE him.
ya I thought about gift cards, and getting him there for another oppinion. but the fact is he won't buy it for himself.......... if i leave it up to him, he'd buy me something with the money. last chance, Ill still need three days to get it
sweetguns :roll:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sweetguns,

It sure is nice of you to get your guy such an awesome gift! I'm no expert, but I've been reading these forums for several weeks and have hunted and shot trap for many years. I just ordered a Benelli M2 12 ga black syn 26" bbl this week as my first shotgun. These ideas might help:

You are wanting to surprise him, so in case you and your husband share an e-mail address, you'll want to scroll to the top and go into Profile and change your Preferences so it won't send an email when you post to a topic. That way he won't find out yet :lol:

It's true that a shotgun fit and preference are very personal choices, but if you want to surprise him and he won't buy it for himself, I say go for it. As long as he won't be too mad about the $!

Sounds like a Benelli family so you don't have to stray far from the tree to find a great gun. Like the guys have said, it depends on what he uses it for. If he's shooting clays with the boys primarily, I like your choice of the Sport 2, maybe the SuperSport.

The M2 is also a great versatile gun, but not quite as adept at clay targets as the Sports. It comes in a blue/walnut version, black synthetic or camo and is less $ than the Sports. If a variety of hunting is also in the mix (upland birds, waterfowl, turkey, etc.) then the M2 would get my vote.

If you know his tastes as to blue/wood vs. synthetic, then that may also guide you. You get the Comfortec, durability and some other goodies with the synthetic stocks but the look of wood/blue is hard to beat.

Good luck and Merry Christmas :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sweetguns, if he can shoot a benelli nova ok, he could surely shoot the sport 2 ok also. If my wife wanted to buy me any kind of a good looking gun (actually she did), I would be surprised (I really was), and grateful (to this very day). If he's anything less he's a louse.

I did like the ask the sons idea though, they just might have an idea of something special he's been wanting, and getting that would be a even bigger surprise. My Son was in cahootz with my Wife when she bought me, my special gun.

Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas, and God Bless You for wanting to do something this nice for your husband, I hope he deserves it, and you.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Somebody always gets grumpy about something here. Blow it off. You sound like one hellacious cool lady. I only have one question: Do you have any single sisters? :lol:

I shoot a Benelli SuperSport and love it. Were I dating or married to a woman who put a Sport II under my tree, I'd probably pass out from happiness. So what if it isn't exactly "the" gun. Any man with a wife that considerate will be taking the gun to the club or field, shooting it and proudly telling his buds, "My wife got it for me!"

Personally, I say go for it. If the man's already familiar with Benellis and likes them, I'd bet he'll be tickled silly and telling everyone what a great wife he has.

Merry Xmas or Christmas, or any darn thing you like. You obviously love your husband and boys, and I know you will have a great holiday!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to thank all of you for your comments.
I purchased a benelli, sport 2 with the walnut. $1,369 :lol:
Its a beauty. I got him a custom hard cover case for transport. He was just sitting on the couch last night and "by chance" handed me the gander mountain flyer. " I told him the boots they have on sale are nice,,, maybe he should get a pair.
some woman are just so sneeky I know I'll get all the pay back I need. see ya boys sweetguns :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
sjohnny said:
Burnt Powder said:
Xmas?

Doesn't your keyboard have a C, H, R, I, and T key on it? I see it does have an S key though.

Maybe I'll start a new religious sect, Xians!

Oh, I'm sorry, I bet the X is to be politically correct? :?

Just a really big pet pieve of mine.

Do we celebrate CHRISTmas or Xmas?

BP
Your a real Douchebag Burnt Powder or maybe one of those crazy christians with that scary glaze in their eyes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.