Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not done much 410 reloading since 2400 was the powder to use years ago with paper or plastic hulls with fiber basewads. Starting up again and see several new special 410 powders, several choices in wads and hulls. What is the favorite to use now?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
W296 or H110 powder

AAHS hull

AAHS wad or
Rem SP410,
or or the Claybuster WIN replacement or Yellow Duster for the first few reloadings, then switch to the Rem or WinHS wads after the hull expands.
W209 primers

WC820 Military Surplus powder, which is what I'm currently using.

Does anyone have a link to Case's WC820 thread?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Here's the WC820 page:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=387658

Don't use Alliant 410 or Hodgdon Lil'Gun with the AA-HS .410 hulls. It'll cut their reloadable lives drastically.

Unless you get the STS .410 hulls free, avoid them like the plague. They're crap after about five reloads.

You can easily get a minimum of 12 reloads with excellent crimps from the AA-HS hulls.

I'm using the economical Claybuster CB1050-41 wad exclusively now. I've noticed no loss of anything with it through 12 reloads.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Em Are Skeet said:
Don't use Alliant 410 the AA-HS .410 hulls. It'll cut their reloadable lives drastically.
That has not been my experience with Alliant 410.
Well, it's certainly been mine.

Scroll down this page to my graph:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=43497

If Alliant 410 isn't burning up your AA-HS hulls prematurely then either Alliant has changed its ingredients or you just haven't loaded enough of them with it -- or long enough.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
If you're using the WW HS .410 hulls, use W296 or H110 powder. They last a heck of a lot longer, believe me.

Can't give any info on hull life with WC820 yet as I haven't been using this powder that long.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Can't give any info on hull life with WC820 yet as I haven't been using this powder that long.
Same as W296 and H110 -- at least it was when I was using the No. 10 bushing.

After I switched to the No. 11 bushing I got some case softening just above the brass on Reloads No. 10 and by 11 the hull was giving away so much the crimp wasn't closing.

Could have been an isolated situation with that lot of hulls.

For the time being, I'm staying with the No. 11 bushing, so we'll see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with all regarding the AA HS. I am using Rem SP-410
wads, 296 powder and Winchester primers. I am currently at 15.3 grains. I haven't cronographed the load as a new gun is at Briley getting tubes. Old gun is sold. How many grains of 296 are you fellows using? I have 30 inch tubes.Any velocities recorded with your similar loads using 296? I was told the factory AA HS .410 is almost at 1350 FPS.
Appreciate the input.
Glenn

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Em Are Skeet,

With Alliant 410, what wad are you using? Is it possible that using the Alliant 410 with a fatter wad (AAHS) that it seals the crimp closer to the chamber wall and extends the life of the crimp/hull for you?

Case,

Has your Alliant 410 experience been with the CB replacement wad only?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Equismith said:
Case,

Has your Alliant 410 experience been with the CB replacement wad only?
Yeah, I think so. But I think I had the same results with some Yellow Dusters, not that that would mean much because they have less diameter than any of the others.

Claybuster says the CB1050-41 is a catchall replacement for the Federal 410SC, Remington SP410 and WAA41.

Of course it could not possibly be a faithful clone of them all, since they're all of at least slightly different dimensions.

Could have something to do with the wad. The recipe calls for a 410SC and I don't have any of those, but I've got both the SP410 and WAA41.

Might do some more tests with those fatter wads and see if there's any difference.

I think it's interesting, though, that after all my invitations to Paul at Alliant to comment on the matter he never did.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
After my last call to Alliant about Bullseye, I sent them an email with a link to SGW and suggested he, or someone from Alliant get on board.

No luck.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
[b:1z3oj04p said:
Equismith[/b]":1z3oj04p]After my last call to Alliant about Bullseye, I sent them an email with a link to SGW and suggested he, or someone from Alliant get on board.

No luck.
I wonder if they think they will get in trouble, might give out the wrong info an be held accountable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.