Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all is it legal in California?

What is the legal minimum overall shotgun lenght?

Has anyone sawed off 1 or 2 inches off thier buttstock and would you recommend it or should I just go out and buy a youth stock? Alternatives?

One size does not fit all

·
Registered
995 Posts
The problem with cutting off the stock to make it a Youth Stock is that they grow up and will need a longer stock eventualy. So either way, you need a shorter stock now and a longer one later. You can look up stocks at Cabalas or other places that might sell aftermarket stocks. Buy a youth stock now and save the original to reinstall later. Then maby you can sell the youth stock and get some of your money back. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't know what the laws are in CA, but most states have a minimum barrel length to be legel. But as far as cutting off the stock, well they grow so fast and before you know it you will need a regular stock again. Try to buy a youth stock at Cabela's, and when he outgrows it, reinstall the original one and maby you could sell the yoputh stock and get some of your money back. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
TonyG offers good advice-Also check out ebay-they have stocks all the time.Get a price from Cabela's first so ya don't pay too much.Use Remington 870 as your seach :wink:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
am I missing something here? OiO didn't say anything about this being for a kid. If it is for you, get it cut. Don't do it your self. Cutting a stock is not as easy as it sounds. I have tried it before and eventually ended up getting a new stock and having it cut by a pro. If you go for the youth stock make sure that it fits correctly to the butt and yourself. Sometimes youth stocks are slightly smaller in diameter and does not match up correctly to the metal.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Federal overall length is 26" with at least 18" barrel for shotguns. No telling what is currently legal in California, or what will be tomarrow.

Get the youth stock, money ahead and then you still have the standard to use later if needed for someone else. I have a couple of 870 20 gauge youth models that I use for adults just by adding a slip on Limbsaver pad to increase the pull. Really nice with those 21" barrels and a PolyChokeII on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right Brookie it is for me. :oops: btw I am an adult :D

I'm 5'7, 170lbs and feel that I can use the extra 1 or 2 inch reach for comfort on my 870 express. Perhaps I'll find a use buttstock and experiment with it. It was my Dad's gun so keeping the originals and stock would hold something of a value to me.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The youth stock is probably the best idea, since you would still have the other stock for someone else to use (possibly someone you are selling it to someday). But, cutting a stock isn't that big of a deal if you are sure you don't ever want the original length again.

I wouldn't do this with a Krieghoff, Perazzi, or Purdey, but for an 870 it'll work. Take a piece of masking tape and wrap it around the stock to mark the edge of where you want it cut. Then using a hacksaw, or other very fine toothed saw, saw in about 1/4" deep all the way around the outside before cutting through. Then, to get a nice flat surface (you won't match up your saw kerf exactly) use sandpaper on a hard flat block. If you use a padded sander, you'll end up with curved surfaces that you don't want. Then you'll need to sand the butt plate or recoil pad down, because the stock will be smaller at the butt than it was before.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can also buy a stock from Boyd's cheap.
Be careful not to take too much off.
You would be surprised how much difference 1/2" makes!
If you go to short it will be tough to shoot.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I cut a inch off my 870 stock because I felt it would be easier to cycle. I put it on my miter saw,(blade was a high tooth count) nothing to it. I used a slip on pad to cover it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went down to the local gun shop and they had a couple for $33 each. :D

They also had a new 18 inch bead site barrel for $130 - is that a good price? Another shop told me $200.

While I was there I asked what the minimum shotgun length was and three guys gave me three different answer - 24, 25, 28. I told them it was 26 ... they will remember me :D

btw -The service was great

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
It's been overall length of 28" and a barrel length of 18" for the last fifty years as far as I know.(federal)
Calif. dose have some goofy laws about no pistol grip stocks on long guns but no sure what they are? :oops:

·
Registered
784 Posts
wb said:
It's been overall length of 28" and a barrel length of 18" for the last fifty years as far as I know.(federal)
Calif. dose have some goofy laws about no pistol grip stocks on long guns but no sure what they are? :oops:
I believe you are incorrect on the overall lenght, unless this http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/ ... -000-.html and some other references to the code are incorrect, it 26".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts