Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Rem. 870 12 ga. 28" barrel. Thinking about shortening to 20" because I only use this gun for target shooting and home defense. Only have the choke that came with the gun, and I've only shot about 20 shells to start breaking it in.

So, would I be better off shortening the barrel?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hi,

Me personally, I wouldn't. What I would do is look for a used slug barrel for it. They should not be ureasonably priced. Plus it would be cheaper than having the barrel shortened and the re-choked. Then, if you want to break some clays, put the 28" barrel on and have at it. Get back home, clean gun, and mount the slug barrel for home defense.

Dale

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Breaking clays isn't for me.

I just go to a gravel pit range that's kept up by the state's wildlife management and shoot paper targets. Really only bought the gun for home defense.

Got the 28" barrel cuz the gun was on sale and that's what came with it, but I worry it's too long for the apartment (3 bedroom townhome-style).

·
Registered
285 Posts
You are going to have to set your priorities. A 28" barrel is certainly not even close to ideal for HD. Most folks go for either a 18.5" or 20" inch barrel. ESPECIALLY in a smaller apartment/townhouse. But 28" it is better than nothing (maybe).

Your gravel pit shooting seems to be just a 'fun' thing. I would put the most priority on HD with a short bbl and use the 28" for the fun thing, ergo: buy a 18-20" barrel for HD and switch it to the HD barrel (18-20") when you come home.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would be the problem with having a local gunsmith (whom I've briefly contacted) shortening the barrel for me for the reasonable price of $30, if I'm just shooting paper targets for practice?

I'm just out of college now, and haven't found a full-time job yet, so spending more money on another barrel isn't an option for the moment. Maybe when I find good employment...

I thought shortening would be a cheap alternative for now, and then buy other barrels if I take up clays or even hunting. Maybe I'm mistaken. Thanks for the continued advice!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The main problem is that you would be getting rid of a perfectly good 28" barrel that you might yet want to use or resell with the shotgun someday, and if so, it will be expensive to buy another or take the hit on the gun's used value.

Visit the Mossberg web site. Surf around under "extra barrels" and scroll down. http://www.mossberg.com/acatalog/pricebarrels.htm

They make a nice 18.5 HD barrel, bored cylinder, for the Remington 870. I know, it seems odd, but Mossy makes some barrels for Remington shotguns. Pretty cheap too. I have one, and it's my primary HD weapon. Value added.

Jeff23

1 - 8 of 8 Posts