Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Dear tyler,
I had the same problem. The new Mossberg 870 barrels are a bit sticky when you install them to your 870. No biggy, its just some excess metal that the shell extractor gets stuck on; cycle the action and push forward hard (repeat as needed). Eventually it will snap into place and this will take care of It. In some cases proffesional modifications are needed if *other factors are present.

If it doesnt work.......
*Other factors; (may require modification)
Replacement barrel length (18.5"? 24"? etc. you failed to mention)
Reciever length; 3" vs. 3.5"
and finally the Shell Extractor differences between the 3" and 3.5" (if there is any)

Godspeed your repair,
-Cryptonic

G

·
:) Sorry that i said failed to mention barrel length as I
cleary see now it was 18.5" just like mine(great barrels by the way as good or better than Remington's own. They start at 89.99 for blued, front bead sight, at Cabela's :lol: )

As a last ditch effort... :cry: You could send it into remington (by mail) and have them modify it.........or call your local gunsmith.

Godspeed your repair
-Cryptonic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was an 18.5" barrel that can shoot 3 inch shells. Thanks for the help. It does seem that if a certain part is worn down it should go into place. I was just hoping it would work with the super mag reciever. I appreciate the reply

G

·
Watsup Tyler,
Jus' wondering if you tryed to/fixed your 870?
I hope it is as easy for you as it was for me!

Well giv'm hell
-Cryptonic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just got a reply from Mossberg and they said it won't work on a Super Mag :( I wouldn't mind it as much if there wasn't a 20% restocking fee :x It's dissappointing but I'm gonna ask around at a gun show coming up nearby. Thanks alot for the help though Cryptonic. Very much appreciated.

G

·
to: tylerdurden 1803
Hmmmmmm? thats curious how the 3"(18.5") barrels only work on 3" recievers. Mine went together so well BECAUSE it was a 3" reciever! (DUH) Oh well, you can buy a 3" 870 almost anywhere, and it will cost around 250 bucks. But as you suggested a gun show will have one for a lot less!! Once you get it all put together it will be a very attractive gun! --You might look into getting a tactical stock from Speed Feed, and a magizine extension 8)

Thanks for the valuable info concerning the super mag's non- compatibility with a 18.5" barrel; i was about to buy a super mag for another 18.5" that i have. You saved me from many grievences.

Much thanks
-Cryptonic

G

·
Hey Cryptonic, I stopped by a local gun shop and the guy there said that it should fit, even though Mossbergs customer service said it wouldn't. Well, I'm gonna send this one back cuz I wanted to get an 18" and maybe I'll get lucky. I'll message you to let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

G

·
:? Has anyone found a shorter barrel for the 870 3 1/2" Super. I just bought one and had hoped the aftermarket was up to speed. I guess I will either have to wait or have my barrel modified. Any thoughts?

G

·
That is very weird! Barrels for the 870 should fit ALL of the 870's, no matter what chamber length, or what length or receiver either. Or so is written on the Remington website: http://www.remington.com/firearms/xtrabbl.htm

Here the foot note:
NOTE: Model 870 Extra Barrels with 2-3/4" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers.

NOTE: Model 870 Extra Barrels with 3" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers. These barrels will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells when used on Magnum receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells when these barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers.

Maybe it's just some imperfection, or finish problem, with the Mossberg barrel??

G

·
I almost ordered the same thing for 870 super mag just today.. Guys please keep checking and post anything you find out. Remington has 18 inchers for the HD models. Why dont they sell them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went to a gun show this weekend but didn't find any 18 inch barrels. So until I save up another 100 bucks I'm going to buy the 18" off brownells(not the one with the rifle sights, the one for $164) I think Remington doesn't sell the HD barrels to the public, just to cops. I dont know why they do that though. When I went to my gun shop they said all the barrels SHOULD fit so I'm buying the Brownells one. I'll let you guys know.

G

·
Found it!! Cheaper than Dirt in FTW texas has 18 inch HD Barrels made by remington and yes it fits the super mag receiver. As of yesterday there is one left on their store.. They also had the other brand in 18.5 in. It fits the super mag receiver but you really have to push it in. That one was 89.99. Remintons was 99.99 and came with a front night optic site. Very nice. Go with the remington 18 in not the other 18.5 inch. Better site and a nice snug fit.

I was about to order the other 169 dollar one but am glad i didnt

Good luck!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where would I be able to purchase it online? I've searched the Cheaper than dirt page but didn't see it. Is it a different store? Let me know. Thanks

G

·
If you dont live in the ft worth, tx area I think you will have to call them on the phone. They have a number listed on the website. You will probably be on hold for quite a while since the store parking lot is always packed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts