Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trappers,

What is the shortest, practical barrel length in a 12GA semiauto for trap? This is just for casual trap, not serious competitions (however, casually hitting 25 is always the goal) :p . Why would anyone want to shoot 24"-26", when 28-30, even 32 is the norm for trap? Balance is one consideration (for vertically challenged folks & small frame beginners). With many turkey guns at economical prices, why wouldn't a 24" semiauto choked, X-full or turkey throw similar pattern to a 30-32" with IM or full?

I'm not making statements of fact or trying to start a debate. I just don't know. I would appreciate any friendly advice from knowledgable trappers on this board. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
For casual, "weekend duffer" use, almost any shotgun can be used for 16 yard trap singles.

I have 3 dedicated trapshooting guns. The two fixed breech guns (pump and semi-auto) have 30" barrels, while my break action single barrel competition trapgun has a 34" barrel. Among other things, longer barrels provide a longer sighting plane and add weight to smooth your swing.

Of course, I have also run 25 straight using a 28" field grade pump as well. You should find a gun that you're comfortable using, and then enjoy the game. :wink:

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
why wouldn't a 24" semiauto choked, X-full or turkey throw similar pattern to a 30-32" with IM or full?
Same shell/bore diameter/choke constriction they will throw a similar pattern, the choke is the deal not the length.

First thing that comes to mind in regards to a 24" barrel, is they are LOUD! They are also nose-light and you have to fight them to keep it smooth. But if your squadmates can stand the noise, and you can control the gun and it has enough choke, there isn't enough difference to talk about.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yes, barrel length has nothing to do with pattern. I have a 26" and 32" barrel for my Browning BPS and there is no difference in pattern between the two when the same choke and load is used. Actually there is a small difference and it with the 26" barrel patterneing slightly tighter but I dont think it has to do with length. I bring it to the club for meat shoot days when shooting long range targets with heavier loads. You should see the look on some guys faces when that ported 26"'er with a 1 3/8oz load goes off under the porch for a long shot....keerboom... :shock: . I'll have it with me today. :D
There's nothing wrong with a shorter barrel and if can only afford one gun. Just decide what your more into and gear the gun a little more towards that.

Tim

·
Registered
235 Posts
i too am curious about the same topic. i looked at getting a franchi i-12 and it had a 24" barrel. it swung and felt great to me, especialy because im very short. i stood it next to a browning o/u with 28" bbl and it was the same overall length. it all boils down to preference and what you like and can shoot well...

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
One of the best trap shooters in my area often uses his Browning Gold 3 1/2" turkey gun with a 24" barrel. Barrel length is about how the gun feels like some of the others have mentioned. You will only loose about 8-10fps of velocity per barrel inch up to about 30".

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Actually Worc I think you'll find that with most modern powder in todays loads almost all burning is done in about 24 or 25" of barrel length so I think you'll find you wont loose any velocity with a 24" or 26" barrel over a longer one.

Tim

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Worc, were are you getting that info? I was told by one powder company rep and two shell company reps that in most loads in most gauges barrels longer than 24" do very little except add weight to a gun. I've never seen much more than a 10fps average difference in loads between the the 30" barrel of my trap gun and the 26" barrel of my field gun. Sometimes the 26" barrel is faster, but I think that has to do with bore dia. more than length.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.