Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried Sporting Clays and have been bitten badly. Lots of fun. Shot the Z bar Z course once in the Helena Valley but they are closed now for several months.

Anything else close to Gt Falls?? I am aware of the course at Little Belt but haven't gone out there yet. Any comments on MT courses appreciated.

FN in MT

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
NSCA should have a listing of ranges for Mt. Ask around at the Great Falls Trap Club, they might know of some small clubs that throw targets for fun. There are a few of those scattered around the country that don't pop up on the NSCA radar screen.

I shot Polson a couple of years ago, then a place near Bozeman, followed by Cody. Not very impressive when compared to the better places in the East and South, but fun just the same.

·
Registered
596 Posts
FN in MT said:
I recently tried Sporting Clays and have been bitten badly. Lots of fun. Shot the Z bar Z course once in the Helena Valley but they are closed now for several months.

Anything else close to Gt Falls?? I am aware of the course at Little Belt but haven't gone out there yet. Any comments on MT courses appreciated.

FN in MT
Check out Big Sky over in Polson. They have a great set up sith skeet, 5 stand and Sporting Clays.

Mike Poorman :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have to ask if anyone knows anything about what I saw last summer. I was traveling west on the Skahalko Road from Phillipsburg to Hamilton when I came upon the Rock Creek Road--I then traveled north on Rock Creek road about 3 miles and noticed across a large field to the west, what looked like a sporting clays course of some sort--there were a number of large auto clay throwers stocked with orange clays. This was part of a large ranch, I think. The throwers were about 200 yards from the road and fence. It looked like a private course of some sort. It was interesting, but way out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DD,

Out of my area so unknown who it could be. But...we do have our share of BIG MONEY out here, many with their own bird shooting preseves and clay courses. I know of TWO private courses within 5 miles of my house.

FN in MT

·
Registered
475 Posts
FN in MT -- yes, that is probably what the case it--the place looks like it is several hundred acres, maybe more than that, with a large lodge at the north end. It is sort of a shame, actually in that such spreads have squeezed the locals out of areas they have been able to hunt in for generations. What part of the state are you in? Craig?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DD,

We are on the Mo river, basically between Helena and Gt Falls. North of Craig a few miles, 1/2 mile downriver from where the Dearborn River enters the Mo.

As far as the rich driving out the locals.... If YOU bought a big spread with great hunting. Would YOU let the locals hunt?? Probably not. I'm NOT trying to start a pissin' match, just making a comment.

We do have a LOT of property being snatched up by the rich and famous. One of the prime examples is the Dearborn Ranch SW of us. That family also owns the N-Bar north east of us by Grassrange. Both properties loaded with deer and THOUSANDS of head of elk. He allows limited hunting, to hunters who have shown they respect the property and hunt within the law. They also donate hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to school sports programs, scholarships, and drug awareness programs. Unfortunately not all of Montanas rich and famous landowners are as generous.

It's their property, If I owned it I doubt I'd let many of the locals on either. Most of them simply drive around all day, trashing up the property, with substandard shooting skills and ability. Not worth the problems. I may seem harsh but I worked LE and F&G laws for twenty plus years out here.

FN in MT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts