Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Today I was loading up a box of 28ga shells with ITX10, (from BPI Smallbore Manual). I have used this recipe before with good results. Today I had an awful time with the 3/4oz of #6 shot hanging up in the drop tube.

Rapping the UCB bar and shaking the handle helped some, but the drop would still hang once in a while and spill shot. It seems to hang at the top of the tube.

Any one else have this problem? Ideas on how to prevent it?

Dalee

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am using a MEC 600 loading .410 shells. It helps to lift the handle/shot drop tube just a bit allowing the shot to flow into the hull freely rather than having the tube sitting against the wad when you drop shot. Smaller shot flows more freely.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
LilBoog said:
I am using a MEC 600 loading .410 shells. It helps to lift the handle/shot drop tube just a bit allowing the shot to flow into the hull freely rather than having the tube sitting against the wad when you drop shot. Smaller shot flows more freely.
Yes indeed!

BP

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Dalee100 said:
Hi,

Today I was loading up a box of 28ga shells with ITX10, (from BPI Smallbore Manual). I have used this recipe before with good results. Today I had an awful time with the 3/4oz of #6 shot hanging up in the drop tube.

Rapping the UCB bar and shaking the handle helped some, but the drop would still hang once in a while and spill shot. It seems to hang at the top of the tube.

Any one else have this problem? Ideas on how to prevent it?

Dalee
I'm figuring you have a MEC, but it's always good to specifically say what machine you have when you're asking how to fix problems with that machine...

I've found that leaving the handle partly up so the shot all drops OUT of the shot tube into the shell works if it's hanging up at the bottom. If it's hanging up at the top, as you said, I found that the single best fix was moving the UCB over sloooooowly so it would trickle the shot down the tube. An added benefit of having the shot drop tube up higher and not down in the wad, you can leave a little gap so you can actually see the shot dropping into wad, then you know it's there and you don't miss a bridging jam and spill shot all over.

That 20ga drop tube idea is good, didn't realize it would work with wads.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Re-reading my initial post, I thought I had stated a MEC 600Jr. But I didn't, my fault, sorry.

I was lifting the handle almost all the way out during the shot drop, so I know it wasn't hanging in the bottom of the tube. And I could hear the bridge let loose at the top.

I will try to slow the movement of the bar. Letting the shot out slower makes sense. I do have a 20ga tube on order also.

Dalee

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Oh, two other things-- I've read guys mention adding some of that "mica dust" or graphite to the shot and shaking it up a bit, will reduce bridging a bit. And also, several folks have said that polishing the inside of the shot-drop tube will reduce bridging a lot-- worth trying for SURE.

I have a MEC Sizemaster 28ga, with autoprimer and a UCB on it. I get bridging issues every time I start going fast with the shotbar, with 7.5 or 6 shot. It's a giant mess and time waster when you don't notice it and move on, next shake of the machine all the shot dumps from your tube... MAN I need to mount that machine inside a lunch tray or something! ;)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
On a positive note , Shot Bridging is a learning experience !
It teaches you to S L O W down and enjoy producing a quality shell , it also
teaches you to have patients as you clean-up the mess because you'll need it
while you're shooting ?

There are more important things to get excited about . Especially when we
reload for fun ?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Well, it's not lead. But tungsten/polymer. So static isn't really a problem here.

I haven't had time to get back to reloading more shells. Life has been a bit complicated.

Dalee

·
Registered
69 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Order a 20 ga drop tube and put it in your 28 ga machine. Yes, It will fit the machine AND the 28 ga wads. This works well to correct the shot bridging.

DLM
DLM. I have the same issue on my 762 Grabber in 20 ga. Will using a 16 ga drop tube work here also and will it fit my machine ?

I continue to suspect the UCB.

I'm dropping 3/4 oz of 8's

·
Super Moderator
9,884 Posts
white17 said:
D L Marcum said:
Order a 20 ga drop tube and put it in your 28 ga machine. Yes, It will fit the machine AND the 28 ga wads. This works well to correct the shot bridging.

DLM
DLM. I have the same issue on my 762 Grabber in 20 ga. Will using a 16 ga drop tube work here also and will it fit my machine ?

I am not DLM, but I will tell you the 16GA. tube will fit in your machine. I have no clue if the OD of the 16GA. tube will slip inside a 20GA. wad.
Maybe a 16GA member can tell you the OD and you could check the wads. Or a call to MEC will get you the same info and then you could order one right away if you decide to go that route. Bridging in a tube as large as a 20GA. with 8's is rare, have you checked the ID of the tube for burrs and polished them out if necessary? The chrome during the plating process does funny things to the ID's of the tubes.

Steve

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
white17 said:
D L Marcum said:

DLM

First off I've never seen a 20 ga drop tube have a bridging problem with 8 shot, unless it had internal imperfections, and you can take it to the bank that no charge bar, regardless of style, will cause bridging in the drop tube.

Most likely what you have is a bad drop tube, that has imperfections inside the tube where it's swadged down. Wrinkles of metal inside the tube will cause bridging big time.

Sometimes you can smooth these out with emery cloth on a mandrel chucked in a drill, and sometimes that doesn't work. Replacing the drop tube is probably the better thing to do. Polishing the inside of drop tubes is always helpful.

16 ga. drop tube??? Don't have a clue. Never have measured one, and never tried using one. 20 ga drop tubes in good condition have never been a problem with #7-1/2 shot or smaller.

DLM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you guys. I have been down the road of smoothing the inside of the drop tube. Chucked 0000 steel wool into my drill and polished the heck out of it.

I can not see any imperfections in the metal but it is the original drop tube and I have no idea how old it is.

It worked fine for years and then all of a sudden began bridging. It happens on probably 5 out of 25 rounds. It just drives me nuts. I have changed parts and cleaned parts, adjusted settings and it still happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.