Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a number of posts recently discussing 1 oz in the 20 ga. Many posters have opined that 7/8 oz is the optimal load in the 20 ga., and that any perceived benefit of the extra amount of shot contained in a 1 oz. 20 ga. load is more than off-set by diminished pattern efficiency and increased recoil.

I subscribe to this train of thought as well, and would not load anything more than 7/8 oz in the 20 if not for this question:

I read (into) an article recently that when using larger size shot (say, #5), you can in fact use heavier shot charges than what conventional wisdom says is optimal in a given bore (e.g., 7/8 for the 20, 3/4 for the 28 ) and not wind up with the diminshed pattern you would expect to see as a result of trying to cram more shot down a particular bore than conventional wisom says makes sense.

I'm trying to come up with some 20 hunting loads in the larger shot sizes. If I can get optimum peformance from a 1 oz load of 5s in the 20 ga, then I figure why not, as I won't be shooting enough for recoil be a factor. But if the conventional wisdom holds true, and 1 oz of 5s will peform only as well as 7/8 oz of 5s, or not as good, then I'll stick with either 7/8 oz. or a 12 ga.

I curious to here everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance. Steve

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
I have absolutely no first hand knowledge of the larger shot theory. I think it is just so much hogwash though. However; I'm pretty sure some guns just seem to shot one shot size better than others. I have an old Model 12 that just seemed to thrive on #4s and #5. 7-1/2s were OK and #6 was just so much wasted money. My Model 42 preferd #5s to any other size shot.

My take on your question is: If you really want to know the answer, load up some shells and pattern them in YOUR gun. I think it will be more an individual gun thing than any particular shot size vs. shot charge weight. Myself, if I didn't think 7/8 oz of shot, any size shot, wasn't enough, I'd take my 12 ga. I've found very few situations where a load of 1-1/4 oz of #5 shot wouldn't take care of business. The only exceptions to that would have been in the before steel waterfowl days. #4s and Deuces and the 1-3/8 oz Super-X Mags were pretty effective on the big'ol Northern Mallards and Honkers! I refuse to shoot steel in my Model 12 and never really liked the taste of duck or goose anyway! :roll:

NEXT! :wink:

BP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts