Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been looking for a sling for my shot gun. I am in the process of getting a shorter barrel, but was looking to get a sling for the gun while I wait. I have an 870 Express. I see the cap that they put on the front mag, but how does the rear attach? Here in WA our Cabela's opens tomorrow, so I thought I would do my part to support them and pick one up. :lol:

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
there are a number of ways to attach the sling as there are a number of slings... there are screw-in mount posts, slings that wrap around the stock etc.

IMO you should decide on which sling first... have you given any thought to the single point sling style?

we have a guy here, who is the Sling Czar, Zombie, he's got a lot of GTG advice on your "holster" for the SG while others here think a sling is a hinderance...

its all on how/when/where you use the SG that dictates which sling to buy... try a search here as well, this has been discussed from time to time

good luck 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I tired doing a search, but it opened up two many post, non of which had much more than just a picture or someones sig that says, i have a sling. :lol: Not exacly what i was looking for.

Good advice though, Will continue to look around.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
870pilot said:
IMO you should decide on which sling first...
Good advice! Single point - 2 Point - 3 Point
Once you get that figured out, then decide on how to attach it - again, many options.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Need a little more info to make a good rec.
What do you want the sling for and what are the circumstances in which you want to use it?
Not being a jerky boy, but it does make a difference.
Single points are fine for CQB work, but can wear you out if you are doing a lot of walking around and you don't want to have the shotgun actually in your hands. Some single points can be OK even for long distance walks if they are constructed right and you know what you are doing and the limitations of the sling. Gear Sector and the VTAC are the only two that I use.
Two points are great for long distance carrying, and carrying African you can shuck out of the sling pretty quickly.
Three points are pretty much miserable on pump guns, and I don't care for them on autoloaders either. They are too close to having a octopus raping your shotgun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your not being a jerk, I dont even know the questions to think about. :D

I want one because we do alot of skeet shotting out side, I dont want to have to worry about where to set the gun down if we dont have a rest. I would just like to keep it up off the ground and on my person. The gun is going to double as a HD gun, so the sling would just allow me to keep the gun on my person if i need to switch between it and my pistol.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
The GearSector ASP would be a good choice. It is basically a loop that goes over your right shoulder and under your left arm (assuming RH shooter, reverse for left). It attaches by several methods, but I would recommend the mounting plate that sandwiches between your stock and the rear of the receiver.
To install it you remove the stock, put the plate over the stub at the back of the receiver, and reinstall the stock. You can select the HK hook type attachment (which I would not recommend) or the plastic side release buckle. Using the receiver plate the shotgun will hang at the right height, slinging up to the rear swivel will have the muzzle in the dirt.
There is a web strap attachment that goes around the small of the stock, but having tried one I would not recommend it.
The single point will let you shoot your run of clays, and let the shotgun hang at your front when not needed, or you can sweep the shotgun under your arm or at your back. If you need to transition, it will let you draw a sidearm without problem.
One other thing here, if you are using a long barrel you don't want this sling. It is good for short barrels, but not for bird barrels.
The two point would also do well for your needs, although it will not be quite as fast (most likely) to transition for you unless you keep a relatively long loop and work on this, and shoot with the sling over your neck already.

·
Registered
91 Posts
m24shooter said:
Three points are pretty much miserable on pump guns, and I don't care for them on autoloaders either. They are too close to having a octopus raping your shotgun.
Now, that is funny. I have never heard it put that way, but it is so true.

For the SG (unless SBS), my preference would be a dual point. On an 18 inch barreled gun, the front end can be a bit heavy for the single point. I am not sure a 2 point would work for your sporting stuff. A 3 point would be a huge PITA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts