Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a recipe for AA hulls, WAA12R wads and 1 1/4 oz shot. The WAA12R wad is so short that the shot is not all contained within the shot cup with 1 1/4 oz shot (the shot fills to about 1/8" above the top of the wad and gives a nice crimp). What problems will this cause?

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
If you have followed the recipe properly and are getting a good crimp, then you shouldn't have any problems. The unprotected shot may leave the pattern sooner than the other shot, but that shouldn't be a big concern.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
No Problem, just go shoot them! We actually had shotguns without choke tubes and shot shells that didn't have a shot cups in them back in the olden days. :shock: Imagine that? I don't know how we survived? :roll: Chilled shot too! :?

BP

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
krmcn

I see the above was your first post.

WELCOME!!!!

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Unless we hand load them that way (1 ounce in 1 1/8 wad), it is quite uncommon to find a shotshell with all the shot held in the shotcup, no problem, shootem!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
They will be one minor problem. You will have more leading streaks in the barrel, if you notice this get a Tornado brush SST or Bronze will make quick work of getting the lead out. Using magnum shot rather that chill shot will minimize the amount of lead left in the barrel.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Boy, we're spliting hairs now! MORE LEADING?? :shock: You can't be serious? :roll:

BP

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
krmcn said:
I found a recipe for AA hulls, WAA12R wads and 1 1/4 oz shot. The WAA12R wad is so short that the shot is not all contained within the shot cup with 1 1/4 oz shot (the shot fills to about 1/8" above the top of the wad and gives a nice crimp). What problems will this cause?
Welcome to the board!!

The WAA12R wad was designed for 1-1/8 ounce loads in paper hulls; however, it makes an excellent wad for heavy 12 gauge payloads. A load I used quite bit when I hunted pheasants late in the season was:

Win. AA hull
1-1/4 ounce shot
24 grs. Unique
WAA12R wad
Win. 209 primer

This load was a little over 1200 fps. For faster loads, somewhere around 1350+ fps, one could use 36 to 37 grs. of Blue Dot, W-W 540/HS-6.

Patterns were always good out of mod to imp. mod. chokes, and don't worry about any extra leading in the barrel. It isn't likely to happen to any great extent.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Like others say, shoot them. The shot will set back slightly into the wad from acceleration, when fired. It won't hurt your barrel.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've always maintained the WAA12R is a poor wad design,too bad Win hasn't replaced it with something better.It is used for large payloads,but is certainly not an ideal situation.If you want better wads for large payloads, look to Ballistic Products line of wads, they carry a lot of european wads as well, but expect to pay more for any wads that they carry.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
TexasTon said:
The 12R wads are favorites of the "parking lot" shooters around here, with a big load of 5's or 4's.
Not this particular parking lot shooter, i usually use a 1 1/8oz load of #7's as far back as i dare shoot,if i can't break em with that, heck with it, don't need the recoil of the bruiser annie/longshot/blue dot combo's. :wink:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
As I said in my previous post, the WAA12R wad has a 1-1/8 ounce cup and was meant for paper hulls. However, it has served well over the past 35 or so years for 1-1/4 to 1-3/8 ounce loads. I never did like it particularly for 1-1/2 ounce payloads. Ballistic Products, of course, is an option, but so is the Rem. R12H or RP12.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts