Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shooting some pheasants, some of them are still alive. How do some of you dispose them as humanely as possible? I wring their necks, but I hate doing it. I saw a tool called a knicker that severs the spinal cord.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If you see from 20 yards out they're not dead, pop them again.

BT

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If you see from 20 yards out they're not dead, pop them again.

BT

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Tom Huggler showed a method in one of his videos where your grab the bird with your thumb on one side of the chest under the wing and your four fingers similarly located on the opposite side. You then just squeeze and it basically suffocates the bird out in a couple seconds.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
The only birds I've hunted so far are dove and if they are still alive I just pinch off their heads. I would assume that would do the trick with anything :wink:

John

·
Registered
131 Posts
I usually carry a 'priest', so a sharp wack on the back of the nut does the job.
Trying to snap the neck can often result with it coming off, especially on the smaller birds, which not only makes them awkward to carry, it makes a mess in the trunk.

Popping them again? well it does the job, but with the price of shells nowadays! and can make them inedible.

I'll be sticking with the Priest.
Ensign:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Ensign posted
Yupp. Quick neat and non messy.

Today, typically, my dogs were lining up to deliver cripples to hand (four of us picked 411 head) and the fishermans priest is the ideal tool. Even quicker with partridge and pigeon... a bite to the back of the head.

regards
eug

·
Registered
28,161 Posts
There are a variety of fishwhackers out there, the priest is one, but any variety of blackjacks work. The idea of pheasant hunting with brass knuckles and nunchucks is a bit over the top for me. Am I the only one on this board that grew up on a farm?

Sounds like it is time to start patterning your guns if more pheasants fall alive than dead.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Neck wringing for me as well . . . I did see a head come off one time while hunting with my neighbor and my brother. My neighbor got one of my brother's birds and wrung its neck for him . . . the head came off, my neighbor threw that into my brother's game vest as well . . . my brother forgot it was in there . . . until a week later when he was trying to figure out where the smell was coming from :lol:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
eugene molloy said:
Ensign posted
Yupp. Quick neat and non messy.

Today, typically, my dogs were lining up to deliver cripples to hand (four of us picked 411 head) and the fishermans priest is the ideal tool. Even quicker with partridge and pigeon... a bite to the back of the head.

regards
eug
Hello, Neckbiter! :roll: How is life in the Valleys?

Ensign.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.