Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will size #9 shot effectively break targets (excluding rabbits) out to the range that my skeet choke is effective?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Only if the barrel is in the right place when you pull the trigger :lol:

What kind of targets are we talking about and what do you believe is the range of your skeet choke?

It would not be my shot size of choice for much on the Sporting Clays courses around Tampa.

Roger

·
Registered
328 Posts
I recently began using #9 shot for sporting clays with good results. The course I shoot features several stations with fairly short target presentations (under 20 yards) including "rabbits" or rolling clay targets, 90 degrees to the shooter.

My scores have improved about 10 clays per round (73 up from the low 60s) using the nines.

I've been successful using the load with open chokes (including cylinder) for the shortest targets.

Could I have shot as well using 8s or 7.5s? Perhaps, but that belongs to the realm of conjecture.

Shoot a Nine and you'll feel fine!

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think I agree with Roger's logic...you don't specify what the target shows you (edge, dome, belly). That has everything to do with whether 9's will be effective. Consider this-some quick trap shooters can take a 16 yd target at 30 yards. Most skeet chokes will put two or more 9's on a trap target at that distance. So, why don't trap shooters use 9's? Simply because they know that the dome of that slightly rising target is too tough for 9's to be consistently effective. Sure, you can get some decent breaks with 9's at that distance, especially if you tighten up on choke. BUT...you can also draw a ton of dust and end up with a lost target. I have known only one person to regularly use 9's at trap, and that was only for the first shot at doubles. Point is-target presentation has a whole lot to do with shot size selection. Heck, you can get decent breaks with skeet/9's out to 40 yards on midi's and standard targets if they show their bellies. Going to a mini at that distance would simply require more choke.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone's insight. This is the first year I have shot sporting clays and I have completed about 10 or 12 rounds. A club "regular" mentioned that he shoots a fair amount of 1-ounce loads with #9 shot. His logic is decrease the payload (to 1 oz.) and increase the pattern density by using the smaller shot. I have only been using this load with a skeet choke and shooting out to maybe 25 yards. (Truth is that I am not sure of the actual distance.) For longer-range targets, including rabbits, I tighten up the choke and shoot 1 1/8 ounce #8. My concern is at what point will the 9's be too small/light to effectively break targets. A question that maybe has no easy answer. Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Jeff,

There are two things to be discussed here - payload and shot size.

I have used 1oz shot since it became mandatory when I lived and shot in Europe. Losing an eighth of an oz of shot takes about 50 bb's out, you still have 300-400 bb's in the shell (depending on *****) and as it only takes 3-5 bb's to break the clay, you are not at a disadvanatge with 1oz loads.

What you DO lose if you use 1oz, is recoil and hence fatigue and missed shots from muzzle jump are reduced. Scores went UP when they mandated 1oz loads over there.

Then there is shot size. The max size we are allowed in competition is 7½ There is nothing to say you have to use 7½, 8 or 9, but bear in mind that while you gain with smaller shot - more bb's, you lose in two ways - the smaller shot loses velocity faster, and it has less momentum to break the clay. If you have a smaller clay, using more bb's may be a good idea, it depends on distance, if the mass of smaller bb's has lost so much velocity it has not got the energy to break the clay, they do not help. Tighter chokes only keep the bb's closer together for longer, it does not alter the ballistics significantly.

As you are in your first year of sporting clays, I would suggest that you standardize on one shell/load and one pair of chokes, and concentrate on learning target pictures.

I would use IC and Mod, (light mod if you have only one barrel) and 1oz no 8 shot and when you are getting over 70% get a coach to help you with the other facets like different techniques/mounts/choke selection/gun management/mental preparation/contingency management and all the rest.

Roger

·
Registered
354 Posts
Roger Gascoigne said:
I would use IC and Mod, (light mod if you have only one barrel) and 1oz no 8 shot and when you are getting over 70% get a coach to help you with the other facets like different techniques/mounts/choke selection/gun management/mental preparation/contingency management and all the rest.

Roger
I can certainly see the logic behind this advice. It really can hurt to add to many variables to the equation.

Would you say this is also true for new trap shooters?

-- Sam

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sam,

I think the principle of keeping things simple applies to beginning Trap shooters, BUT not the recommendation to shoot IC choke :lol:

For ATA trap I would use 1 oz 7½ and Imp Mod choke.

Roger

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, I got a full, mod, and imp. cyl. with my gun, and currently keep the mod and imp in the barrels. Wasn't hitting much with the full... The gun (Winchester Supreme Select) takes Invector Plus chokes, so maybe I'll see if I can drum up an improved modified.

-- Sam

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sam,

try the Mod - it may suprise you?

One thing not always appreciated is that Chokes are not an exact science. I had recent session at the pattern board with a client where we tried his set(S) yes plural of after market and OEM chokes. We did NOT get what we thought we would. Some chokes marked as open were anything but, and vice versa. And one brands IC was not the same as another IC.

You should pattern your chokes with your ammo and then you know where you are,

Roger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.