Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I wanted to thank you all for your advice in my pursuit for a tom. I have come down to the last decision in gearing up for turkey season. What shot size should I use? I will be shooting Hevi-shot, with a Undertaker HS tube, 28" bbl on a mossy 500. I know that there are multiple factors that will determine my best shot size. What should I do to determine a size? I would like to be able to buy a box of each 4, 5, and 6, but at $20 a box, I cant really pattern test each size. I would also like to use 4x6 hevi-shot loads, but as far as I know, those arent available yet.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Furner,
I use hevi #5 and #6 Hevi-Shot in both 20 and 12 gauges for Turkey. They pattern about the same. With #6 shot I try not to shoot outside of 25 yards with #5 I can go to about 40ish but wouldn't normally take that shot anyway. BTW if you haven't already bought the choke, you may want to look at the Comp-N-Choke system. They are the one's setting the records at NWTF competitions. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may consider the Comp-n-Choke, its a little more expensive than the Undertaker, but if its setting records and stuff, maybe I should look into it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've always been in favor of a good load of #4s. Even at the price these shells sell for you should at least shoot 1 or 2 to check your pattern. Some will shoot a little high or low.

G

·
I plan on doing a few pattern shots, 10 rounds in the box, I only need to take one bird, so I can spare a few rounds. I think I am just gonna go with #4 shot, its the most consistant recommendation I have heard.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use # 5 Federal 3" turkey loads in my 20 gauge. Holds patterns up to 40 yards+.

My 12 gauge I use 3 1/2" #4s.

I like 4's because they will carry energy farther and allow longer shots. It only takes a few 4's to break a turkey's neck and drop him clean in his tracks.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Furner,
#4 shot I'd use in lead. Hevi-shot has a higher density than lead so you'd be fine using #5 Hevi and get more pellets for the same 1.5ish oz of shot with the same or better terminal velocity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts