Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, lovin' my SPR310s ( with the nickel, pheasant engraved receiver!) 20 ga.. I was curious whether any of the clays folks out there shoot Estate shells with the number 9 shot? I was told by an old hand at one of the local ranges, that I should try to find shells with number 9 shot. Is there an advantage of number 9 shot over the number 7 or 8 in the Federal or Remington, or Winchester target loads out there?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
More bb's mostly. I've never shot #9 so have no opinion. Shot plenty of 7.5s and 8s, Wouldn't think there was a huge advantage shooting clays, might be prefered for certain game birds. Some folks don't seem to like Estates, I've shot several cases of them over the years without a problem. Usually I use the Walmart Winchester or Federal bulk, it's all good.

The only exception was an especially cheap stock of Winchester shells. Several misfires, and obvious problems with the primers. The normal Winchester they sell for about $17 for four boxes of 25 is fine.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
The advantage of #9 shot is you get 585 pellets/oz instead of 410 in 8s or 345 in 7.5s. Hence, if the clays you are shooting at are close enough to be broken cleanly by 9s (skeet targets mostly, inside 30 yards) then with proper choking, you can get yourself a larger effective pattern with 9s than you can with the larger shot. That is, a wider pattern with the same density.

With the same distribution between pellets, 585 pellets versus 345 can cover an area 1.7 times the size. To best take advantage of the extra pellets, you might need to go to a slightly more open choke. The tradeoff is that 9s don't hit as hard; most shooters do not use them except for close targets. To me, there is no sense in using 9s with chokes tighter than IC. If I need that much choke, I need larger pellets, too.

I have used 9s on doves, but I pass up a lot of shots over 25 yards and I find a lot of shot in the meat. I much prefer 7.5s.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you New_Geezer, and FullandFuller; to my way of thinking, I only figured it would be beneficial on the trap or skeet range.

I'll probably just continue to use one of the easily found shells. I was wondering where you can buy shells by the flat?

Good Day All,

John

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
Herchammer said:
Hello all, lovin' my SPR310s ( with the nickel, pheasant engraved receiver!) 20 ga.. I was curious whether any of the clays folks out there shoot Estate shells with the number 9 shot? I was told by an old hand at one of the local ranges, that I should try to find shells with number 9 shot. Is there an advantage of number 9 shot over the number 7 or 8 in the Federal or Remington, or Winchester target loads out there?
Depends on what you're doing, really. #9s are smaller pellets than #8 & #7.5. Since they carry less mass, they also lose force as they get further from the muzzle. After a certain distance, your pellet can reach your target, but doesn't have enough energy to break it.

I generally keep to #9 on the skeet field and sporting clays targets less than 25 yards. Everything else, I'm shooting #8.

I've shot many cases of Estate's and have been very happy with them in my O/U's.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Where can you buy shells by the flat? A flat is 10 boxes. Around here, Dick's gives discounts on 10 or more boxes. I think Cabela's does too, or at least they sometimes advertise some. But I have found the regular price on ammo at Cabela's to be high, usually. Rem Gun Clubs are up around $7 there, and Rem Express loads $14 :shock: . The local gun shops sometimes give a break on large purchases, too. Walmart does not seem to understand the concept of buying by the flat, at least not the local ones.

If I had a choice I would shoot 9s for skeet, but they are harder to find I guess. Most 9s I see are in a premium shell - STS or AA. I do see the Estate 9s at Cabelas when I am there. The 9s I shoot are reloads so I never really thought about their lack of availability.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm an 8 guy myself. There are camps that love the 9 and the 7.5, but both sides converge on 8's for their all around shots.

It's easier for me to just stock up on 8's and not worry about what shells are in my gun for what shots.

The only time I change shot size is when shooting tactical shotgun matches, where 6 is king. :)

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
FullandFuller said:
Where can you buy shells by the flat? A flat is 10 boxes. Around here, Dick's gives discounts on 10 or more boxes. I think Cabela's does too, or at least they sometimes advertise some. But I have found the regular price on ammo at Cabela's to be high, usually.
Cabela's, Gander MTN, Basspro. I've bought flats at them all. I consider in the $40-45 range for a flat of 250 pretty reasonable these days. I get RIO when I can (Cabelas, Gander), Estates (Cabelas again), and Remington Gun Clubs (Basspro) regularly in that range. Haven't dipped below $40 since last January. Last time I bought ammo at Cabelas in July it was $46/flat for RIO Top Sportings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As usual, great response here, thank you for the insight, and information. I really enjoy following the various posts here; great community!

Thanks,

John :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive been buying Estate shells from Sportsman's warehouse for years by the case. $3.79 a box with the case discount. $37.90 a case.
1200fps
7.5 and 8
2-3/4"
3 dram

Now I just started to shoot their #6 shells and they work great. Those cost a little more that the 7.5 and 8's. I saw at Cabela's the other day that they are carrying Rio's and in #9. I have a buddy that swears by this brand. Good L uck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts