Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've been shooting I've had no problem noticeably hitting the clay on the upward arc, generally I turn it to dust and occasionally split it in a few pieces. If I miss and take the second shot after it's farther out on the downward path of the arc (I presume I'm hitting it) it just shoots off in another direction. Like a stone skipping on water. I don't notice it breaking up, it appears to be in one piece. What would cause this?

This is with a 12ga Remington 870 super mag, screw in mod choke. Ammo is 2 3/4 1 1/8 7 1/2

·
Registered
419 Posts
It is possible in near miss situations for one,maybe two pellets,to hit the clay and it will change course slightly but not break.You may also see a cloud of dust around the clay,as opposed to the ball of smoke you get when it is smack in the pattern.If you get the chance have a look at the pile of missed clays and see how many have got holes in but haven't broken,particularly rabbit clays.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
How did this post happen? Nov asked "About hitting the clay on the down side of the arc" on a post heading of "shot stuck in wad" by jhen........and nov shows 0 posts????????? I'm confused :roll:

nov, most of the time I see this shot missed------say arcing from L-R, the shooter hasn't realized just how far the target is still moving to the right, or they are stopping their gun. As with alot of clays presentations, it is an unnatural move, you have to force yourself to move right and under more than you realize.

You might get better answers if you will start a post of your own, and better off in the Sporting forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what happened either, it was my first post and I was in the trap shooting section. I had to do a search to find it and this was the only thread that had my name, wierd.

Regardless I've posted in the correct forum and checked that it made it's way there. I'm sorry for the confusion........onto your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I posted mine in another topic. I posted and Nov's post was the first in my thread. Really weird glitch!!

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts