Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the hunting scene.This was my first year deer hunting. Since I have a limited budget, I purchased a 20 ***** Remington 870, which came with a slug barrel and a shot barrel. The 20 ***** was chosen so my wife could use it without dislocating her shoulder.My friends are deer hunters, but I thought I would try my hand at small game.My question is what size shot is good for the little guys when using 20 *****.thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
For reasonable distances 4 to 5. (up to ~20yds) Use an open choke.For longer distances you might try 1,2 or smaller. Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
54 Posts
I typically use high brass #6's and a Modified choke for squirrel and rabbit. If I'm only going for rabbits, I'll switch to an Imp. Cyl or Skeet choke.If I'm going for squirrel only, either a Modified or Full choke...depending on the height of the trees where I'm hunting.I usually take my Stevens 311 double barrel with me for the "tree rats". It has a Modified and a Full choke.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
4 to 6's is perfect for most of the small furred critters and generally 4's are the largest legal shot allowed in some areas.With a 20 I like Mod for general use and since its an 870 3" should be useable. So, you can get a few extra pellets over the 2.75" shells. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm assuming your 870 has choke tubes.Squirrels can be tougher to roll off a limb than one might expect. I'd go with 1 oz of 6s and a mod choke, or even full choke if you are hunting tall timber where they are high in the tree tops.Rabbits don't take a lot of killing, and they are usually shot at very close range. I'd suggest 7/8 oz of 6s and Imp Cyl choke or even a skeet choke if you have one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
well as we don't get squirrels in oz I can't comment on them but rabbits we do get in vast amounts , I use 30 gram 4's and 34 gram 2's and 4's in the fastest shell's I can get .if you want to eat them :x you are better off with a .22 and head shot's.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If in doubt use a handgrenade...That should take care of any pesky rabbits. Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
383 Posts
"Bring out the holy handgranade" Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:lol Never realized how dangerous rabbit hunting was till I saw that flick.Rabbit hunting tips;1. Shotgun2. Holy Handgrenade3. Full body armor Edited by: OldHubcap at: 1/7/03 2:29:20 pm

·
Registered
32 Posts
i would say for squirrels use #4's with a full choke and rabbits with #6's and a mod. choke. If going for both buy some #5's

Thats what I use

·
Registered
476 Posts
I's go with #6 shot heavy loads with a full choke. Thats also what I use in my 12ga. Seems to work very well in both gauges.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.