Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario:

You were going to the Gun Store and had to pick a shotgun, which one would you pick:

Uses:

1. Primary Waterfowl gun
2. Occasional dove/clay gun

I have an O/U as my upland gun. I'd like to target shoot with this new gun. Which gun?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Questions:

What is your price range?

What do you mean by target shoot? Sporting Clays? Skeet? Trap? Something else?

Tell us more about your upland o/u.

Generally, waterfowl shotguns are going to be semi-automatics that handle 3 1/2 inch shells. Beretta AL391 Extrema 2, Benellis Super Black Eagle II, etc.

For dove, you could use your upland o/u

More info is needed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1. Primary Waterfowl gun
10 Ga. auto loader. would be the gun I would choose. Pick the use for the gun and purchase the gun for the use.

Now as I can't shoot the 10 ga. on a sporting course I could always pick up rocks and throw them. I have a great Waterfowl gun however.

Now for sporting, that is an interesting question. Given the option I would choose and O/U so I don't have to pick up shells. That being said I shoot my SS for sporting because I haven't found and O/U that works for me as well.

Simply put, if you purchase a gun to do everything, it's nothing more than a compromise on everything.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
txgolfer45 said:
Questions:

What is your price range?

What do you mean by target shoot? Sporting Clays? Skeet? Trap? Something else?

Tell us more about your upland o/u.

Generally, waterfowl shotguns are going to be semi-automatics that handle 3 1/2 inch shells. Beretta AL391 Extrema 2, Benellis Super Black Eagle II, etc.

For dove, you could use your upland o/u

More info is needed.
These are the guns that I have narrowed my list to, facts, and what I've heard:

1. Benelli M2: I have heard that it doesn't cycle 2.75" very well. It needs a "break in period". I understand that it holds 3" shells. I've been eyeing the Black synthetic one and I understand it goes for $1215. I love the way this gun looks. I'm not 100% sold on it's performance. I have read many light load cycling issues, recoil spring issues, I've heard the recoil on this gun isn't as advertised I have a problem with a $1000+ gun needing "a breaking period". But I love the looks.

2. Beretta Urika 2: I have heard this gun is readily available to shoot 2.75" right out of the box. It holds 3" shells. I understand that a Kickoff Pads are available. I have heard of few if any cycling problems, and the gun doesn't require a "breaking in period". It retails for $1250 with the KO pad. I'm not sold on the aesthetics. The fore-end is too long, IMO. I don't like the looks, but it has received a lot of praise, it does have most of what I'm looking for.

3. Benelli SBE II: Brother-in-law has one, and he swares by it. He claims it's the grand slam of all auto-loaders. He says, "there was no break in period", and the it cycles right away (light loads). I have read in this forum that the SBE II has issues of cycling 2.75" rounds. The verdict is still out. Again this seems to be the do it all Semi-auto. I love the looks, but the price is a little excessive $1575.

4. Beretta Xtrema 2: I have heard this gun requires a break in period regarding light loads. Again the fore-arm is a little too long. Comes stocked with the KO pad. It's expensive $1500.

As you can see, probably 2 guns suit me, either M2 or Urika2. I have no idea, what gun to pick. I mean I love the looks of the M2, but it requires a "break in period", there is, supposively not break in for the Urika.

I want a waterfowl gun first and foremost. I hunt 2-4 times a year for geese and ducks. Price range is about $1300-1400.

I Skeet/Trap shoot sparingly, but I'd like that option. I mean how else do gain confidence in shooting your fire arm? I gain confidence by shooting clays, breaking lots of them, and transferring it to the field.

I hunt in Houston, where the humidity is high, in flooded rice fields. I need a gun that can weather the elements (occasional mud, water, salt spray). I don't want to religiously clean my gun.

I perfer a gun with light recoil, but heavy recoil won't necessarily get in the way of purchasing it.

I dove and quail hunt, and my Beretta Onyx 686 O/U 12 gauge, takes care of that. I'm not too concerned with my Semi shooting doves, it would be nice, but not necessary.

Next question:

How efficient are 3" shells on waterfowl. Are they just as powerful?

That said which gun should is right for me.

Please give me you .02!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Regarding the break in for the M2, mine took about 4 boxes of heavy load. Now it shoots what I put in it. I would not let the break in factor bother me that much. It should shoot fine after break in. Some apparently do not require a break in.

The Beretta gas guns will shoot anything without break in (at least mine did). But, they take a little more effort to clean. I can break down and clean my Benelli in just a few minutes. The gas ports on the Beretta take just a bit longer.

The M2 does feel nice when you're holding it. The recoil is not that bad....but my Beretta is just a bit softer.

Another thing to consider that I've noticed: the re-sale on the Benelli is outstanding. You can shoot that thing for a couple years and not lose but about $100. They're selling for about $800 to $900 used in my area. A new one is only about $1000.

JED

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
As you can see, probably 2 guns suit me, either M2 or Urika2. I have no idea, what gun to pick. I mean I love the looks of the M2, but it requires a "break in period", there is, supposively not break in for the Urika.
All semi auto models are subject to a break in period. Some particular guns need it and other won't. You won't hurt anything by not breaking in the action with some heavier loads. You may save you self some frustration if your gun does not cycle the light stuff right out of the box. The AL391 also has a break in part in their manual/website.

For mostly waterfowling I prefer a 3 1/2" model for the additional benefits.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Inertia-operated guns need a little break-in time, so what? It's just not a big deal! They are simpler and have less parts. Don't get dirty quite as often. Very simple to take apart and re-assemble. I like mine, but most of my friends shoot gas op. guns. Both systems work great. The main thing IMO is to buy what YOU want, it's your hard-earned money, after all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts