Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is very interested in trying this sport out. She is 5'0 and I'm not sure which gauge I should start her out with. I'm thinking 20, but wanted some advice. I've also got to be conscious about the weight of the gun. Any ideas?

Another note, I used to have a Mossberg Silver Reserve, but come to find out, since I'm a lefty, it really wasn't the right gun for me. A gunsmith at my club told me he could bend the barrel, but would have cost more than the gun did. As you can imagine, I became very frustrated and it's been over a year since I've shot. I'm hoping that my wife gets into it with me, which will give me an excuse to shoot. Any recommendations on a lefty shotgun? Which gauge? We are mainly focusing on skeet and trap. I truly appreciate the advice of any veterans. This time, I'm going to be sure that I spend my money wisely, even if it cost a bit more than before. The key for me is getting the right gun.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Think if it were me, I'd get her a 391 Teknys. I shoot with a lady who is your wife's size. She bought the 20g, since then she as come to find the 12g 391 Teknys kicks about the same as the 20g, which is... not much, and the 12g is more versitile. A 26" barrel would be likely best for her.

For you... Think if you have some $$ to "invest" I'd go with a 28-30-32" (the length depends on your size/strengt and shooting style) 682. You could always add tubes later if you get addicted. The 68X Beretta's are guns you can have the rest of your life, and pass on! There are quite a few nice used guns available...

bd

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
She needs any 20 ga Beretta 3 series autoloader (303, 390, 391) 26" for skeet 28" for trap or sporting, and I would get her a lightly used one, and spend the extra money on a gun fitting and a few lessons from somebody competent who is not you (trust me). Skip the technys, lots of extra money for cosmetics. 20 ga only for 5' gals, and get somebody to fit it at a patterning board. Where are you we will give a recomendation. The important thing with her is that she not get punished by the gun. That will turn her off but quick. I would also recomend putting some weight in the gun to make it as soft shooting as possible (some in the mag tube and some in the butstock hole) and replacing the hard factory pad with a sorbothane kickeeze or pachmayer decelrator. If you do this right this is her first gun, not her last gun.

For you? They made left handed Remington 1100's, you might look for one on Gunbroker.com .

Good luck

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
The Teknys and 391 are both good guns. For what ever reason, to my shoulder, the Tek while more money, is a softer shooting gun. The 12g and 20g are almost identical in recoil, and the 12g would give her a lot better chance of breaking SC targets. This way your both shooting the same ***** ammo too. 1oz loads... very soft... :lol: Yes the Tek is more money, but you don't sound broke, and it is a pretty gun... something a woman will appreciate even if smoke does not :lol:

1100?? What'd'ya hate this guy or something Smoke??? She gets the Tek, and he gets an 1100? :roll: Your the one with the hot wife! Give the poor guy a break will'ya! :lol: If your all set on an auto... why not get a matching set of Teks, with yours a 28" barrel. She should love that! They are great guns, and you don't sound broke. If your not set on an auto, go Beretta O/U, it's a serious gun that will last you a lifetime. 1100 :roll: and a box of "O" rings! :lol:

She'll love the matching Beretta shirts and hats you can both wear. :lol: You know women... For most... the cloths are as important as the gun! For us guys... a Tee shirt with out too many holes, a pair of shorts, and we're good to go!

bd

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
..He's a lefty. I agree the Beretta is the best platform, but that shell/fireball in the face can be distracting. I hate the asthetics of the Technys.

For what ever reason, to my shoulder, the Tek while more money, is a softer shooting gun
Put it on a scale and you'll find out why. The mechanism is identical to every other 391. The 12 and 20 are not identical in recoil, and this lady is 5' tall. The whole scale of the 20 is going to be better for her, but dont take my advice, my wife has been shooting for 15 years.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I know you have a point... and a hot wife :lol: but I shoot with a 5' girl who has a 20g Tec, and she wishes she had gotten the 12g. She thought the 12 would be too much for her, but now realizes it's just fine. :lol: You could always get her the 20g now, and in a year or 2, if she sticks with it, and shoots the 12 finding it very similar to the 20 but more lead... sell the 20 and get a 12g...

I prefered the 391 for a year or 2 also... but my bud got a 391 and another got the Tek... and I have to say, I've changed my mind, gotten use to the Tek, and if I were to buy an auto, I'd get a Tek.

Don't know about Lefty's... Shoot with one friend who shoots a Right Tek and a Lefty Benelli... He's a Lefty, but I don't have any experience here.

To each their own... makes the world go around. :lol:

bd

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
... And on the other hand I know a bunch of girls that got a 12, shot for a short period of time and never came back. Now your 5' girl can either sell the 20 and buy a 12, or get the 12 as a second gun. She's hooked and thats the goal with a first gun. When somebody has never shot before, doesn't know how to hold the gun or accept recoil, the risk is they get punished.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Any of the major brands of gas operated semi-autos perform the same. Try various 20 ga brands for fit. Be careful of the ammo you buy. Cheap 20 ga loads often are loaded at higher velocities thus higher recoil.

If you take up loading you can experiment with reduced recoil loads. I presently shoot 5/8 oz in my 12 ga guns for practice. Recoil is minimal and they break targets well.

If you buy shells, Remmington makes a "Managed Recoil" load that is pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey Chris;

Good luck with your project. I know everyone would like to help you make the right decisions as we all like to see more people get into our sport(s).

Helping our women can be fun but as so often happens even though we mean well, it can become frustrating also.

One of the guys mentioned getting some classes at some point and I agree, but as he said do not try to do this yourself.
I have refereed some near knockdowns at my range over the years when watching husbands, boyfriends etc try to teach their ladies how to shoot. DON'T

Now for the real reason I am writing.

In my experience, if you have a range close by your home, I would take the lady out and rent some of their guns or watch the people shooting and if you see one of the guns you believe will work, ASK the person using it a few questions.

Shotgunners being what we are, will nearly always offer to let you (your lady) shoot some rounds with their gun to try it out.
This could save you a bunch of money and some heartache as well.

I don't think there is a better teacher than hands-on experience and the people at the range are generous to a fault. So you might give it a try. That way the gun will fit her, not you and most of your problems are over to begin with.

Kepp us posted on your outcome. We can learn as well.

UF

·
Registered
431 Posts
For a woman your wife's size or a young shooter the BEST gun to start them with is a 28 gauge 1100. Patterns well, near nonexistent recoil and doesn't require the finesse of the 410. That said, because of a woman's physical dimentions and proportioning fit is even more critical than with a man. An adjustable pad and someone who REALLY knows and understands gun fit should be your first stop after your gun purchase. Remember you only get one first introduction to anything so do it right. This is a time when "down the road & in the long run" come in second to "doin it right the first time".
JMNSHO :) Tic

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Ole Tic, er I mean Ric, :p has it exactly right.

No make or style of shotgun fits real people, and is more shootable for the average person, than the Remington 1100.

In 28 ga. the gun will not be really heavy and as stated before, will have almost no recoil. Additionally the 28 ga. has a much more sufficient pattern and is much easier to hit with than any 410 ever built.

As Ric stated, the first impressions are the lasting ones, and if you want her to take to shotgunning with enthusiasm, then first impresions will be the ones that really count. Getting a gun that neither fits, or is too heavy, or is hard to hit with, will not be in the best interests of impressing her that it's really fum.

DLM

·
Registered
661 Posts
First gun for small lady:
Well, a 28ga auto would be a lovely gun, if you have plenty of money for ammo.
I use a 20ga auto in Remington 1100 for teaching newbies, including small ladies and kids. It is easy to handle, easy to fit to the individual, soft recoil, and ammo is cheap and hulls plentiful for reloading.
Recoil is really important for a new shooter. Many young people and new shooters are quickly turned off by a gun that makes a lot of noise and kicks hard. Stay away from those 12 ga; you don't need it. Also, fit the gun to the person. It is easily done and makes a great difference to a new shooter.
Also, if you can find a certified skeet instructor nearby, get him or her to spend a couple hours on a first session; which will include gun fit and learning to lead the target across the field. Save some time by doing a complete safety briefing yourself.

Floyd in Vienna

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I appreciate you all helping me out with this.

Smoke, I agree, I do not plan on giving her lessons because I want her to learn the right way, not too mention, I tend to have short patience, and I can't really teach to save my life. I also agree with making sure that she doesn't get punished by the gun either. She's never shot before and is a little apprehensive. She's nervous when it comes to the recoil.

There is a club near us called the Independent Sportmans Club in Foxboro, MA. I'm thinking of bringing her down to see it live and hopefully some nice fella will let her take a couple shots.

I'm definitely buying used for her, and most likely for me.

If anyone has any recommendations for clubs in Southeastern Massachusetts, please advise.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more thing. I forgot to mention this little tidbit. I shoot lefty with my shotgun, but right handed with my pistol AND my dominant eye is my right eye, which really screws me up on the shotgun. Am I screwed?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Buy the Teknys, and convert to a Righty... :lol: No sence shooting shotgun with your non-dominant eye, Lefty. It sounds like a desaster in the making.

Don't know how you got to be shooting that way, but could be time to change... while your just learning. :lol:

bd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bel_dad said:
Buy the Teknys, and convert to a Righty... :lol: No sence shooting shotgun with your non-dominant eye, Lefty. It sounds like a desaster in the making.

Don't know how you got to be shooting that way, but could be time to change... while your just learning. :lol:

bd
You're not kidding sir! I'm thinking that maybe I'll take out the ol' .22 rifle and start practicing with that. This should be fun making the conversion! :roll:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Switch to righty, you will be way ahead in a very short time. Get yourself a Berreta 3 series in 12, get your wife one in 20. Now you have both in the family.

This scares me
I'm thinking of bringing her down to see it live and hopefully some nice fella will let her take a couple shots.
That is absolutely a bad idea. Take her out and let her watch but you want her alone with an instructor her first time actually shooting. You only get one chance to leave a first impression, like a bird dog getting a little bit gunshy by a bad first experience. Try Angelo Troisi at Minuteman Sportsmen in Burlington MA. He can get her set up and started, he may even have a short 20 ga autoloader she can use her first time. Look him up under instructors at the NSSA/NSCA website. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
smokeball said:
Switch to righty, you will be way ahead in a very short time. Get yourself a Berreta 3 series in 12, get your wife one in 20. Now you have both in the family.

This scares me
I'm thinking of bringing her down to see it live and hopefully some nice fella will let her take a couple shots.
That is absolutely a bad idea. Take her out and let her watch but you want her alone with an instructor her first time actually shooting. You only get one chance to leave a first impression, like a bird dog getting a little bit gunshy by a bad first experience. Try Angelo Troisi at Minuteman Sportsmen in Burlington MA. He can get her set up and started, he may even have a short 20 ga autoloader she can use her first time. Look him up under instructors at the NSSA/NSCA website. Good luck!
That's good advice. I'll just let her see what it's all about first and then go from there. You're absolutely right on the first impression. I want to make it a good one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts