Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a turkey shoot today and saw a barrell that was a normal barrell with a 18 inch screwed on to be about 36 inches total. Anyone ever heard of this ?who makes them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep that looks like what I saw. Also there were several guys with 870 and mossberg guns,barrell had been worked on ,longer etc. Is this safe and where does one get such done.

PS Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Turkey shooters are a different breed ain't they? Always looking for the "edge". Grooving their barrels to stop the wad from spinning, adding 4 foot long barrel extensions to tighten the group. Spending hundreds of dollars to win a 20 dollar bird or ham.

Guess it would pay for itself eventually, but it leaves us common Joes paying for a shot and comming home empty handed.

Guess I'll keep buying my turkey/ham at the local supermarket.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
These Turkey shoots look like fun-- I'd love to try one, but there aren't any within a few hundred miles of me.

Of course, I'd always be a little suspect of meat that I won at a gun club :lol:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
My hunting club holds turkey shoots between Nov 1 and Christmas. We don't allow anything but regular old hunting guns. If someone shows up with a specialized gun and we realize it, we don't let them shoot. If someone has a gun that wins too much, we explain the facts of life to them. Our shoots are fun and we know almost everyone. Sometimes a crook will show up with a worked over barrel but it shows up pretty quick and he is banned. Shooters won't buy a $3.00 ticket to shoot against a pro, so we try to id them but quick.

Our targets are cards at 100 ft with a dot target. Closest shot to the dot totes fresh meat. A ticket to the local grocery store and you pick your own ham or turkey.

Money shoots are very competitive. If a pro shows up with a specialized gun or a suspect gun, we don't let him shoot. We know most of the shooters but occasionally a pro trys our patience and one of the locals tends to the affair in such a manner that we never see him again.

NOW, down the road, they have year round shoots where the pros shoot against each other. That is fine. It levels the playing field. Stay down the road and don't come to our little seasonal event where we try to raise money to keep up and pay the lease on our hunting lands.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I can't imagine there is really that much you can do to one that will give you a great advantage. Especially when you consider most of them make you use their ammo.

My dad goes to them now and then and he said sometimes kids with a cheap single win them.

What would be considered specialized or a Pro in turkey shooting contests? Could I bring my turkey gun with sights and a super full choke with a lightened trigger? I mean it is a hunting gun after all. And why couldn't I use a turkey in a turkey shoot? Or would that just apply to some yahoo with a 50 inch barrel?

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts