Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a new 870 Wingmaster 12 ga. I searched and found people talking about cleaning their barrel and wiping down the action of the gun after it has been shot. What Materials should I get? I am considering buying a bore snake because I have read many good things about them.

I have put about 150 rounds through it and I am wondering what type of maintenance should be done to it tonight or tommorow.?

What should I do after each outing with the gun?

How often would you recommend stripping and cleaning?

I need all of the help I can get because I want this gun to last a long time. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
what i do with all my shotguns is clean the barrel after 3to5 outings and i take the action out and wipe it down and grease it once a year or if i get it wet, i wouldnt bother with a boresnake for a shotgun they are great on rifle's but kinda spendy for a shotgun i just use a cheap outers shotgun cleaning kit but i use hoppes solvent because it seems to work better and a 12 ga boremop hope this helps :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
When I am shooting trap league I clean the barrel after every outing and just wipe the outside of the gun with a very light coat of CLP. At the end of league or when I'm not going to be shooting again right away the gun gets taken down and I clean and lightly coated with CLP. All that being said I clean my guns ALOT more than any of the people I shoot with.

With the exception of CLP(available at wal-mart) any shotgun cleaning kit is fine.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I find the BoreSnake great for traveling and/or a quick but not thorough cleaning of the bore. I use it dry.

I would get one of the 12 ga cleaning kits more for the bronze brush and rod. I would also pick up a can of spray solvent that is formulated for modern shotguns and plastic wads. Hoppes No. 9 is a powder and copper solvent. I think that the more modern solvents are better.

After each outing you should always wipe down the out side of the gun with an oily rag. Remove any finger prints from the metal parts. Your sweat is often the source of rusting. If you are shooting the next day you should run the bore snake through a couple of times.

If you are not shooting for a few days spray some solvent down the barrel and run the bronze brush all the way through and back out 4 or 5 times. Remove the bronze brush. Take a sheet of paper towel and tear it into 4 pieces, then fold the piece twice. Stuff this wad into the breech of the barrel and push it out the front. Do this one more time. If you will not be shooting for over a week, lightly oil the bore. If you have a woolly mop I find this is the perfect tool. Screw it on and put some oil on it and run it through the bore a few times. If not rap a patch around the bronze brush and put a ring of oil on the patch. Put a few drops of oil on the rails that the bolt guides on; work the action back and forth a few times. Before you shoot again push a wad of paper towel through the bore to get the oil out. I store my oily rag and woolly mop in a steel army surplus ammo can.

Once a year or after shooting about 10,000 shots; punch out the action pins and pull the trigger and bolt; spray them with some powder solvent; shake or blow dry with compress air. Spray with Break Free CLP or Rem oil; shake or blow dry with compress air. Reassemble.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I keep a oily rag in a plastic bag, one in the safe, the other in my gunbox. Anytime I handle one of my guns, it gets wiped down before I put it away.

I do the usual customary cleaning when I return from the range.
Never put my guns away dirty.

Bob

·
Registered
331 Posts
when cleaning your shotgun you'll find build up of plastic just ahead of chamber in forcing cone area, also build up on choke tube bore end, I find the bronze chamber brush to be excellent to clean these areas.
I use nylon bore brushes alot, i'll wrap a patch arond the brush and clean the dry heavy stuff out first. Next I'll use ballistol to clean barrel,once a year I'll pop the trigger assembly out, here I use my old tooth brush, dry at first then with ballistol. I prefer NOT to use grease as this will hold dirt making a fine grinding compound,so I just use ballistol. I also store my guns muzzle down allowing oils to run onto a rag instead of into the wood stock over time it will ruin your stock depending on oil used.
You are on this black box so check out ballistol site as well as break-free-test run at gun stuff very interesting reading.
Good shooting enjoy the outdoors my freind

·
Registered
658 Posts
All good advice, and congratulations on the Wingmaster. Wonderful gun and I predict you'll never wear it out, nor your kids either.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'd just add that CLP is a great product because it will displace water, unlike "regular gun oil" in the micropores of your gun, making it less likely that the gun will rust.

I always wipe down a gun when putting it away at the end of a day of shooting or hunting. If it's been raining, foggy or just damp, I wipe the gun down before casing it to come home or move to another huntinig spot.

The gun wipes you can buy (number of brands) really work well for that quick wipe-down.

good luck and good shooting
hunter20ga

1 - 9 of 9 Posts