Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to pass up a used Citori due to it's condition today. I really wanted it and am a little disappointed.
I had planned on buying a Yildiz as a backup plan if the Citori didn't happen, then read about a CZ O/U that also sounded decent.
Many people say to wait until I can find a used Browning or Beretta O/U, which makes sense.
I think I was just wanting to get something different.

The real dilemma is that I have a Remington 1100. I also have a Fox Sterlingworth sxs double barrel that fits me perfectly. I am starting to think I am looking for something different for no good reason.

I hunt dove when they fly and want to shoot some sporting clays now and then. I am beginning to think I should just shoot what I have. They are both in great condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,567 Posts
Throw a little more money on the pile each week/month, and soon the condition won't be an issue, it'll be brand new.

Not sure how you feel about buying online, but you can set up automatic email notifications on GunBroker based on keywords when guns matching those words become available. I did this when looking for a Beretta AL390 and got a good one for a good price. Only took a week or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,200 Posts
Your 1100 will do everything you are planning on shooting, as will the Fox, while I have O/U shotguns, I prefer Semi-Autos. But everybody needs to buy an O/U, just so they can say they have one. :D :D

cdb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main reasons I am looking at an o/u is the 1100 does require a little more maintenance simply due to the gas system.
The Fox just messes me up, especially on crossing shots. Looking between the barrels blocks the bird.
I really wanted to get the used Citori Hunter I found, especially at $699.00, but it just has too many issues. Apparently the previous owner spent all of his money on shells and couldn't afford oil.
I found a beautiful used Beretta 686 Onyx Field, but at $1400.00 it is really more gun that I can justify.

I am leaning hard toward getting the Yildiz. Maybe later on I can justify spending more, but I simply don't shoot often enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,516 Posts
pepperbelly said:
The main reasons I am looking at an o/u is the 1100 does require a little more maintenance simply due to the gas system.
The Fox just messes me up, especially on crossing shots. Looking between the barrels blocks the bird.
I really wanted to get the used Citori Hunter I found, especially at $699.00, but it just has too many issues. Apparently the previous owner spent all of his money on shells and couldn't afford oil.
I found a beautiful used Beretta 686 Onyx Field, but at $1400.00 it is really more gun that I can justify.

I am leaning hard toward getting the Yildiz. Maybe later on I can justify spending more, but I simply don't shoot often enough.
Look at the bird. If the barrel is blocking the bird, you're not going to have much luck on anything but straightaways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Neanderthal said:
Life is very short. Buy buy buy!
Plus life's too short to shoot with an ugly gun.

As far as semi's, 390's and 391's are good but cleaning them can be laborious. Browning Maxus has great wood, soft shooting and easy to clean. The Winchester SX3 is the same but plainer and less expensive. The Beretta A300 and 400 are very soft shooting and easy to clean. The new Remington V3 is supposed to be the softest yet

I started with semi's because of a shoulder problem but like you, I had a hankering for an O/U. Before you buy anything, try shooting different brands if possible, first. The stock configurations can vary between brands as well of the gun weight. Some will pound you more than others. You need to find one that fits you otherwise you'll have to fork out money for stock modifications to make it comfortable. I've seen guys that must belong to the "gun of the month" club. They buy one, it beats them up, they sell it and buy a different one until they find the right one.

Look on-line for used O/U's. Guys I shoot with have been picking up some older SKB and Browning's with beautiful wood and engraving for a song and a dance.
It's hard to buy once and buy right. Your first probably won't be your last. When I started I thought I could get by with just a 12 and 20 gauge semi. Now it's time to cull the herd. It can become addictive. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I wanted a Browning O/U really bad. A really nice one came up on GB and I bought it. After a few trips to shoot clays it now sits in my safe unloved.

Did I waste the money, no. But it didn't click with me like I thought it would.

YMMV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
If you really want an over/under of lasting quality, save more money. $1400 is not a lot for a quality Beretta. You need to try the options to be sure of fit, but Browning or Beretta rarely disappoint for quality, other cheaper options often do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
pepperbelly said:
....I think I was just wanting to get something different.

I am starting to think I am looking for something different for no good reason.

I hunt dove when they fly and want to shoot some sporting clays now and then. I am beginning to think I should just shoot what I have. They are both in great condition.
Stop watching YouTube shooting competition or instructional videos! They only worsen your condition... :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
Virginian said:
Shoot what you have until something really speaks to you. You do not NEED an O/U to do anything. If you really want one, wait for a good one.
I totally agree!
Buy when you found the gun that you know you can't live without.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RobinTN said:
pepperbelly said:
....I think I was just wanting to get something different.

I am starting to think I am looking for something different for no good reason.

I hunt dove when they fly and want to shoot some sporting clays now and then. I am beginning to think I should just shoot what I have. They are both in great condition.
Stop watching YouTube shooting competition or instructional videos! They only worsen your condition... :roll:
Oops. Too late.
Some of those instructional videos has made me decide to try shooting with both eyes open. It just seems weird.
One bad habit I have to break is to stop trying to aim. I have shot steel plate pistol competition for a long time, clawed my way to master class a couple of decades ago. I keep trying to put the bead in front of the target. Part of that is my 1100 not fitting. I have fixed that- I think.
I will get some practice in when the temp cools off enough that I don't have to worry about the sun softening my barrel and making my barrel droop.

BTW I sold the Fox. I just could not get used to looking between the barrels. I kept looking at them. I'm staying with my 1100 for now. If something comes along I will think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
robert146 said:
You are talking shotgun and moving targets. When you aim, you miss. Period.
Lol. Yeah. I have noticed that too.
The last time I shot sporting clays the LOP on this 1100 was over an inch too short and I kept looking at the bead trying to put it on target. The fast crossers really whipped me.
I have no idea how I hit 40 of them. I am looking forward to trying again with a shotgun that fits and looking at the target instead.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top