Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a post for my site where I compared various chokes and buckshot to see if the chokes made much difference.

See here: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45.htm

Bottom line: Brand of buckshot makes a lot more difference in pattern size, than choke does. :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I already red your article & it was great. I have an improved & modified choke for my Rem 1100 TAC4, & 4 different brands of buckshot for my first test.

Any clue on how 1 1/8 OZ #8 shot would do in a SHTF situation, with either a full or turkey choke? I can load up a lot of loads with what I have on hand if things went really south in this country. I know the penetration would not be much. I do think it would stop someone from coming in the door though.

Next time I order skeet reloading supplies I might see if I can get one bag of the largest shot they stock. If I can get #2 or close I could at least make turkey loads & some pretty decent protection rounds, cheap.

Keep up the work on your web page. I sent the link to all my gunner friends. The new guys LOVE it, and it's one of my favorites.

Thanks

Gene

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FiveseveN said:
Did the Remington 0 buck not have any buffering material?
No sir, it did not have buffering material.

But, in all honesty, it was some rather old stuff from many years back. I do not often see it available in the local stores nowadays.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
geneinnc said:
I already red your article & it was great. I have an improved & modified choke for my Rem 1100 TAC4, & 4 different brands of buckshot for my first test.
Good for you. That is really the only way to "know for sure" how your shotgun will pattern them. You just have to try them and see.

Any clue on how 1 1/8 OZ #8 shot would do in a SHTF situation, with either a full or turkey choke? I can load up a lot of loads with what I have on hand if things went really south in this country. I know the penetration would not be much. I do think it would stop someone from coming in the door though.

Next time I order skeet reloading supplies I might see if I can get one bag of the largest shot they stock. If I can get #2 or close I could at least make turkey loads & some pretty decent protection rounds, cheap.
You are fortunate that I am answering this one, as some folks would rake you over the coals for this one. :p

No birdshot, of any size, will reach the FBI minimum of 12 inches penetration. Only buckshot will do so.

Birdshot makes a shallow and nasty "looking" wound, but it is a very poor "Stopper" against determined bad guys. There are many real-life stories of bad guys shot with birdshot, even at very close range, that walked to the ambulance after being shot. Birdshot is for litte birds. Buckshot is for bad guys.

"Might" birdshot work? Sure it might. But why use "might work" when "will work" is available.

Get buckshot. It is cheap, compared to getting killed.

Keep up the work on your web page. I sent the link to all my gunner friends. The new guys LOVE it, and it's one of my favorites.

Thanks

Gene
Thank you. I enjoy doing the tests. :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Oddly enough, I did a test over the holiday weekend with 3 different "defense loads" (see photos and test results at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=191407 ) and I got much tighter patterns than Painless did and at further distances with the Federal Flight Control Reduced Recoil LE using a shorter cylinder bore barrel. Much tighter.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
geneinnc said:

Thanks

Gene
00 buck will be the answer you get 99.5% of the time here. #1 will be the answer the other .5%.
#8 will not be an answer. Information about defense loads can be found all over this forum. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mohave-Tec said:
Oddly enough, I did a test over the holiday weekend with 3 different "defense loads" (see photos at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=191407 ) and I got much tighter patterns than Painless did at further distances with the Federal Flight Control Reduced Recoil LE thru a cylinder bore with a shorter barrel. Much tighter.
Not really "odd" at all. :wink:

By the time I shot the Fligt Control wads, my backer was shot all to pieces and the target paper tore easily. The flight control wad also followed the buckshot through the holes, making them look larger than they really were.

The difference in 2 inch holes and 2 1/2 inch holes is not really significant.

And, as we all should know by this time, different shotguns will pattern differently, even with the same ammo.

Bottom line: Federal Flight Control Wads make really tight patterns at in-the-home distances.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The point was, as mentioned elsewhere in the forums before, is that choked shotguns have adverse effects on the Federal FC pack and the Federal actually shoots tighter thru a none choked barrel.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mohave-Tec said:
The point was, as mentioned elsewhere in the forums before, is that choked shotguns have adverse effects on the Federal FC pack and the Federal actually shoots tighter thru a none choked barrel.
In this test, http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot44.htm, and in the one above, I did not see any significant difference between the chokes.

Maybe others have, But I have not seen any significant difference. :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EMPJohn said:
Old_Painless said:
I recently did a post for my site where I compared various chokes and buckshot to see if the chokes made much difference.
Thanks Old_Painless. Your stuff is always informative and a lot of fun to read!
Many thanks.

I often learn something myself. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.