Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the answer to this question is probably on here somewhere, but for the sake of time I'll post it here. Gone to buy a shotgun for that special someone and need to know if there are some measurements that could give me a rough estimate of fit. (i.e. height, chest, arm) I know the best way is to have them shoulder different guns and see if the drops and pulls are good, but this is kind of a surprise :wink: ya get the idea. Thanks a ton and God Bless.

·
Premium Member
19,703 Posts
If you are going to buy an "off the shelf" factory built gun, then you really don't have too much choice. You can get the standard full size stock which varies very little in size from manufacturer to manufacturer or you can purchase the "youth" or "ladies" stock (if they make one) which is usually about 1" to 1 1/2" shorter. Some guns have buttstocks that are adjustable for drop at comb and heel and also cast on or cast off. These are automatic type shotguns such as the Beretta 391, Browning Gold Hunter, and Weatherby SAS. Remington 1100/1187 is NOT adjustable in the stock drop/cast measurements.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey nic long time no see. So you want to get her a gun hmm good idea much better than a ring. If you have no idea of what she needs then just buy what ever gun you are planing on and after you give it to her start cutting the stock down. Start by taking off the recoil pad then have her shoulder that. If it is still to long then just go by 1/4" at a time when she says good measure the thickness of the recoil pad cut that much more off, put a pad on and you got it. Depending on how much you take off you may have to get a new recoil pad that is shorter or modify the original since the height of the butt will decrease as you cut more off. It would be a good idea to get one that has an adjustable drop and cast by way of shimms but that is a luxury that makes life easier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL john, yeah I made it to Georgia Tech and all these Engineering classes keep me too busy to do anything, but anyways, thanks for the replies. I thought that was what I needed to do. I really want to get her a 28ga auto and I think Rem is the only one that makes it and that is on a full size 20ga frame. She's needs as little recoil as possible and that gun would be great except that she's only 5'1'' and 100lbs, really needs little recoil in a little gun. Thanks all!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cic--while the Remington 1100 Sporting 20ga with 28" bbls weighs in at 7.0lbs, the 1100 Sporting 28ga comes with 25" bbls and weighs in at 6.5lbs. So, even though they are on the "same frame" the 28 weighs 1/2lb less--mostly I'm sure due to the 25" bbls on the 28.

Unless you want to go to a 410 (no, no, no!) I just can't imagine less recoil than the 1100 28 ga gun. If need be (which I very seriously doubt) put a Pachmeyer Deaccelerator pad on it and it will shoot like a BB gun.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts