Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm looking for a good shotgun for home defense for my wife. I own several pistols, but even after lots of practice she still gets jumpy. The only thing she would acomplish is to rain drywall on the guys head. And I'm worried she would end up killing a neighbor. She is can hit a 2'X2' target with pretty good accuracy with a shot gun. Again we have been practicing. I'm looking for something that is semi auto, lightweight, and that I can get in the 18"/28" regs. It may sound sexist, but I'm a realist. I need something that I know that she has the ability to use with some proficiency. I just want her to be able to pick it up and pull the trigger a few times and send a few hundred pellets at the ******* in our house.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Honestly, go with either a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870. Put a forgrip/light mount on it (i.e. Wilson Combat) then teach her to aim with the light....

Literally "What you see is what you get."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend of mine recieved a 20ga coach gun for a house warming preasant. The giver said it was the best for a wife because 1)you could load it in the dark if necessary 2)open-safe-closed ready to fire 3) shortest action= short gun 4)20ga was well enough power. It made some sense to me over the 870 I've handled a lot over the years

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is much to be said for the simplicity of rich870's suggestion when it comes to a neophyte shooter who perhaps isn't committed to the practice needed to become proficient with something more complicated. That's the reason why I suggest revolvers to new shooters wanting a handgun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife wants no part of any guns though a long time ago she used to have and shoot a small 25 cal. semi pistol. She is 4' 11" and under 100 lbs. I have a Mossberg 590 for my use and just bought a Ruger 10/22 to use in the indoor pistol range in winter and rainy days. I may try to get her to shoot that if she wants but from past experience I know that she can not work the slide on a real sized semi pistol and a shotgun other than a youth size is way too big for her to use. The ruger may do if she can work the bolt release.

In the meantime since we sleep in separate bedrooms I have instructed her to entice the home intruder in front of my door by calling out seductively to him :roll: after which I can blow him away. Basically I will use her as a decoy. (Kidding of course)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being a 4'11" 98 lb female who enjoys shooting I would Highly consider the Remington 870 18" 12 ***** and go with a youth stock.

I know there are many guys that don't seem to like this model but if you take your wife in the store I'm pretty sure she'll have the same issues I had with the other popular guns of this variety from winchester and mossberg. I had trouble racking the slide with the other pump action mossbergs and winchesters because the forearm reach was a bit long for me when the gun was mounted, and well I'm a small lady with short arms :). On the remington 870 you can grab further back on the forearm which makes it smoother and easier to rack the slide with the gun mounted.

The other thing that's nice about the Remington is the location of the safety versus the winchester and mossberg.. easier to get to since its behind the trigger not in front.

As far as 12 vs 20, I normally shoot clays with a 12 ***** Berreta 391 Parallel target, and as long as your wife learns how to shoot the gun properly, up to shoulder tight, recoil, even with buckshot shouldn't bother her. Again, you hope she's not going to be firing more than a few shells in such a home defense situation. Personally, I'd much rather be pumping out as much lead as possible in a home defense situation. The one kind of funky thing about having a youth stock on the 18" magnum express is the stock although very secure, fits a little funny to the gun where the synthetic black piece meets the metal, its not a HUGE deal, but its not a supersmooth transition from the stock to the metal, personally I wouldn't have even noticed it if the guy that put it on for me didn't tell me.

The other guns from Mossberg and Winchester looked really great too, but those specific features of racking the slide and getting the saftey off, which are really critical to the gun's function in a panic situation were what steered me to the Remington 870.

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
On a side note- my Mossberg 500's safety switch is a thumb switch that is located on top of the handgrip. Possibly that may be an option to consider looking for in order to cure for the trouble of being able to reach the trigger mounted safety switch mentioned above?

·
Registered
30 Posts
NO offense... but, if you're wife isn't interested in PRACTICE, then just about any firearm will be too complicated in a STRESS situation. Even a single shot .410 would be hard to handle by a novice with NO practice under their belt... when a killer is 10 feet away, and ready to take your life. Face it, her fine motor skills, muscle control, hearing, vision, and emotions will all be effected in a situation like that... and there is no gun which can think & function by itself when the owner freezes like a deer in headlights.

The problem isn't the gun... the problem is the lack of enthusiam in PRACTICE.

My wife refused to shoot for years, until I quit trying to buy "her" guns... and let her buy her own. She ended up buying a S&W N frame 625.... a huge gun for anyone, let alone a small, petite, female... yet she shoots it extremely accurately, and is now into competition shooting.

the key is to let her enter the shooting sports on her own terms... not shop for her... or make her buying desicions... but let he feel the excitement of picking out her own gun... even if its something YOU personally do not want... and that way, she will WANT to shoot.. thus giving her experience. Before you know it, if you wife is like mine, she will have better, more expensive guns than you do!

Good luck!

·
Registered
182 Posts
GehngisEd said:
the key is to let her enter the shooting sports on her own terms... not shop for her... or make her buying desicions... but let he feel the excitement of picking out her own gun... even if its something YOU personally do not want... and that way, she will WANT to shoot.. thus giving her experience. Before you know it, if you wife is like mine, she will have better, more expensive guns than you do!
Excellent! That is exactly correct. I did the same thing with my girlfriend. I bought her a "cute little gun" (her words) and later sold it because she didn't want to shoot it. Then I gave up and said,
"Here's what we'll do. I'll take you out shooting, and we'll rent a few guns at the local range. Then you can decide if/what you like, and we'll start looking for one you like."

First time we went out she shot my Springfield XD-9. She fell in love with it. She accually asked for that exact gun.

Seriously, GehngisEd has a very good point. Whoever is shooting, male or female, young or old, we ALL need practice in shooting our defensive firearms. As the old saying goes:

"Practice like you fight, and you will fight like you practiced."

·
Registered
30 Posts
:D I think you & I will be getting along great Guardian!! hehehe :D

seriously though.... getting the wives & girlfriends out on the range, and interested in shooting entails letting them do one of the things they all like to do.... go shopping. Find a GOOD gunstore which will not try to shove a .44 mag down their throats.... and let the girl shop. If she decides on a .22 ruger... let her, its her choice. When she gets experience with it... she'll enjoy it... and she'll decide to add to her collection of firearms. Even if she doesn't... I'd rather my wife be an expert shot with a .22 pistol... than an inept novice with a 12 gauge.

Dont force a .45 on them.... and dont take them to a bad gunshop. My biggest mistake was taking my wife to a gunstore... which told her "nothing but this $699+ wonder nine would do...." they went so far as to refuse to show her anything else... and copped an attitude with her for not buying what they "told" her to buy. That set me back a good two years in getting her to go shooting with me.

Now?? My wife... who used to be a peace-nik vegetarian soccer mom can just about outshoot anyone on the public range.. competes... and can site guns facts & ballistics with the most grizzled collector. Because she can to it on her own terms.. instead of being force fed.

Good luck to you all... and word for the wise... if you dont want to get yelled at for buying that new gun??? Get the wife into shooting... and take her to the gun show with you!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Mossberg 500 Tactical Sidewinder with a Knoxx CompStock (recoil-mitigating fixed stock). She won't have to worry about folding or unfolding the stock. That's why I recommend the CompStock over the CopStock. Also, the Knoxx Sidewinder Tactical conversion replaces the forearm with one that has a modular forearm grip that can be placed at 45 or 90 degrees left or right. The conversion will allow her to reload easily with box mags or drums. I also recommend getting a SideSaddle shell carrier to hold extra rounds that can be single loaded into the chamber before putting in a mag to increase the capacity by one so you get 7 or 11 instead of 6 or 10. And finally, I recommed a tactical flashlight that mounts into one of the shell sections of the SideSaddle. It has a pressure switch that can be attached to the grip.

The Knoxx CompStock reduces felt recoil to approximately half - down from around 75 ft./lbs. to about 40 - a true "love tap." :)

Or if you want an autoloader, you could get her a Franchi SPAS-15 and a good supply of mags. Good luck finding one, though.

Also, needless to say, it's important to teach her not to fear the recoil and just go with it. Trying to resist the recoil is part of what causes pain in the first place. I'm a small guy (5'7", 135 lbs.) and I can handle a 12 gauge Magnum with the easiest of ease. That CompStock will make things even easier for her.

P.S.: I was just joking about the SPAS-15. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your wife?
well probably a .22 rifle with CB short bullets.
you see,LR kick to hard for women. Leave the shotgun to
your son before your wife :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Yours truly
GUDDY the F*CKY

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
20 gauge stoeger coach gun!!!

There is a reason Dangerous Game Hunters Use Double Guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure it has Double Trigger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.