Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board so forgive me if this isn't posted correctly. I have an A. Francotte shotgun that was passed down to me many years ago and I would like to find out what year this gun was manufactured. I Have some photo's and a serial number of 6266. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank's, Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Very odd that it does not carry the Banc D'Epreuves Des Armes a Feu De Liege ELG in a circle, which was standard after 1818.
As a side lever, and with the few proof marks, it is likely pre-1878.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very odd that it does not carry the Banc D'Epreuves Des Armes a Feu De Liege ELG in a circle, which was standard after 1818.
As a side lever, and with the few proof marks, it is likely pre-1878.
Thanks Drew, it does have Paris, France stamped on one side, if that matters.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Yes, it is possible the gun was made by Francotte for export, then to be finished by a Paris maker. That might explain the absence of Liege inspector's marks. The 18.9 mm = .744" was placed at the time of proof of the rough forged tubes. What is the bore now? Is it a 11 gauge = .751"? Is there nothing on the top rib?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is possible the gun was made by Francotte for export, then to be finished by a Paris maker. That might explain the absence of Liege inspector's marks. The 18.9 mm = .744" was placed at the time of proof of the rough forged tubes. What is the bore now? Is it a 11 gauge = .751"? Is there nothing on the top rib?
I don't have a clue what the gauge is now. There are no markings on the top rib. Here is a picture of the barrel markings

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts