Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight's episode of the Shotgun Journal features a really challenging clay target event from Pawling Mountain in New York, and a segment on identifying lead pictures using the Eye-Cam.

You won't get to see my shining face tonight. Bruce handled this show, since I was in California with my Performance Plus Shooting School for five days when this was being taped.

Lots of good shooting info tonight. I think you'll enjoy it. 7:00 pm Eastern on the Outdoor Channel.

Next week: Green timber duck hunt from Stuttgart, Arkansas

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I watched the show last night and I enjoyed it very much. Especially the part on shotgun lead by Bruce.

Marty, is it legal to record the shows and collect them?

Herb S.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Where in Stuttgart did you tape it, and at what lodge?

BT

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can certainly tape or TIVO shows. You just can't rebroadcast them or sell them commercially.

The duck hunt was shot at a private green timber club called the Bull Sprig, which is less than 10 minutes drive from downtown Stuttgart. This club was commercial for many years, but was purchased by a number of individuals a few decades ago, and is now hunted only by club members and their guests.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Marty,

This was a FANTASTIC show from all aspects. I absolutely loved it. Too bad we couldn't hear exactly what Bill, Anthony and Scott were saying to each other after the shoot. I know you "ear'ed in" on Scott but those guys looked dumbfounded on their scores.

It was awesome to see how hard that event was and what they did have to say.

Bruce did a great job on the lead stuff.

MORE, MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!

P.S. Did anybody else notce the odd style of how Anthony Matarese hunches over his gun. Maybe it was a weird angle but boy it looked strange. I personally thought although strange it was cool to see.

P.S.S. MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just out of curiousity I watched the show and when Bruce connected with some of the clays they really dusted. Did he just hit those targets that hard or is he using a different type of clay/shel for effect? Either way, great show and I learned a lot. Keep up the good work...my TIVO on Wednesday nights couldn't be happier :lol: .

Hank

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually Bruce was shooting flash targets, which have a small amount of colored powder glued into the dome. This allows a much more visible break for spectators and video. Without the flash target, it is really difficult to film clays so the audience can see them break.

Gun clubs don't use flash targets because they are expensive and a bit messy, but they sure are good for video purposes.

Thanks again to all for watching the show.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Great show Marty. Bruce did an excellent job explaining the various types of leads. I wish I could have seen a show like that about 40 years ago when I was struggling to figure out how far ahead of those doves I needed to shoot.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If not the best show yet, close to it.
I love the technical stuff. The shoot em up is good to but I like to learn as well.
Great show.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't want to beat a dead horse on this, but Bruce and I need your help. I'm reading how much you enjoyed the show and the series. Please go to the Outdoor Channel site and tell them.

We're meeting with them early next year to see if they will renew the show for its ninth season. The new guy at the Outdoor Channel truly believes that their viewers only want to see big game hunting and turkey hunting. Maybe those viewers are more vocal about what they want.

Your support will not only help us continue our programming, it will open the door for more shotgun, clay target, wingshooting series on the network.

Don't have the exact link, but go to www.outdoorchannel.com and click on the Contact Us icon at the bottom of the home page. Then go to Viewer Feedback. Your efforts will help immensely.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As a new shooter I absolutely loved the show. Was fascinated by the lead instruction and will certainly be watching it again on Tivo this weekend. FWIW I never watched the Outdoor Channel prior to picking up shooting so I will certainly be emailing them today.

·
Registered
98 Posts
At the risk of offending the big game hunters, I AM SO SICK of all the deer hunting shows. I only watch the bird hunting & clays shows... SGJ being one of them. Need more shows like this. I'm probably in the minority though. :D

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Yeah, what HE said! I seriously doubt that we are a "minority", too! There is SO much of the deer/turkey/big game on, under relatively "controlled" conditions, and with expensive hunts, that I'm just bored by them anymore.

BobK

·
Registered
296 Posts
BobK said:
Yeah, what HE said! I seriously doubt that we are a "minority", too! There is SO much of the deer/turkey/big game on, under relatively "controlled" conditions, and with expensive hunts, that I'm just bored by them anymore.

BobK
Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way, while there are a couple of unique shows on, many of them look the same.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts