Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an old (1938) browning a-5 with a poly choke attached. it says it takes a 2 3/4" shell. it is a beautiful thing to behold, so I want to try and treat it well. I was wondering what kinds of loads this gun can handle and also whether it can take steel shot so that I can take it duck hunting. is there somewhere that I can find info on different shot types (bismuth steel, tungsten, etc.) and loads and what they are good for?

thanks for any advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard the steel can do something to the barrel. is this because of the hardness or the larger loads that are typically used to push it?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Wecome to the New Shotgunner's forum Artguy! I hope you plan on registering and then sticking around to join in the conversation.

I know what your shotgun looks like, and you're right, it is a thing of beauty :) With the older guns, steel isn't recommended for both the reaons you mention: first, the shot is much harder than lead and can damage the older barrels. Second, getting steel to kill effectively means loading it to much higher pressures (remember the old saying: "speed kills"). Guns built in 1938 were not generally built for hypervelocity loads.

I have a 1951 Ithaca Model 37--fixed mod choke. I shoot Bismuth thru it for waterfowl (Hevi-shot is actually harder than steel and compresses even less). Bismuth, while expensive, performs superbly.

Good luck with the Browning--she's a grand 'ol gal, and you're lucky to have her. And come back to let us know how it's all going :)

Jeff23

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the info jeff23.
Do you know where I can find out what kind of loads are safe for a gun like mine, and other information about shotgun loads in general? I plan on looking at the websites of various manufacturers. unfortunately it seems hard to get straight info that is not just hearsay about shotguns and also alot of other stuff these days. It's a good that you guys have this website so people can get stuff straight.

thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You're safe with the standard 2 3/4 in game loads as well as the express loads ("high brass"). For waterfowl, you're fine with any 2 3/4 Bismuth load. Kent Gamebore also makes a tungsten-iron load you can shoot, if you can find any. With an auto, you want to try it out a bit and make sure the load you are using cycles the action ok.

Glad to have you aboard--come back and let us know how it's going. It's nice to think of that old A-5 downing a few birds :)

Jeff23

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
As stated already, any 2 3/4" lead load is safe as is Bismuth for non-toxics. The Kent load is called Matrix and is actually a tungsten/polymer combo and is safe to use in all guns. The only reason I feel the need to correct the Kent load is that Federal makes a tungsten/iron shell that IS NOT safe for your gun.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks Uglydog--it was a "senior moment." That's the beauty of SGW: we're much less likely to make mistakes because we can check on each other.

BTW, Kent Gamebore makes all kinds of interesting stuff-- 2 1/2 in European shells, for example. If I can find any of the 2 3/4 tungsten stuff I want to try it on ducks in my 16 ga.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts