Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for all of you patterning pro's and techies out there.What type of a pattern distribution should I be looking for when I am patterning my shotgun for sporting clays? What I am looking for is the percent of pattern above/below the midline of the patterning target. Should I be looking at 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, or what?Thanks all,Bear

·
Registered
91 Posts
Realbear,Most all trap shooters like a patern that is somewhere inbetween 70-30 & 90-10 with the larger number being above the point of aim. the reason is that there is a built in lead for rising targets and therefore you can keep a keen eye on the target at all times. A 50-50 patern requires that you blank out the quickly rising target with the end of the barrel( causing momentary loss of view) in order to get a good break.It is my understanding that sporting guns are some-what the same but maybe not as drastic. say 70-30 max.Ocassionly I shoot sporting clays w/ my u/o trap gun(@70-30) but I have trouble with the low straight aways because I don't get down low enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
most people I have conversed with on this subject who actually shoot sporting use a flatter shooting gun....... 50/50 to 60/40. I prefer about 65/35. The more pattern you have on top will give you the ability to float targets somewhat but in spoting we are dealing with many fast dropping targets at the point we can take them.regardsJim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts