Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a 12-gauge auto loader for hunting purposes. I want the shotgun to be versatile to allow me to hunt doves, ducks, turkey and deer.

I have a rifle however I'm finding the areas where I can hunt here are shotgun only. I currently have a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express and an Ithaca 20 gauge (both pump).

Looking around and talking to a few people, they recommended Remington's 1100 synthetic model. Remington's 11-87 also looks like a nice candidate.

If I decided to go with buckshot would I have to buy another barrel? Slugs or rifled slugs?

Perhaps one tool does not fit all -- but in this case I'm looking for the best auto loader that is versatile enough to fit my needs.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you're determnined to get an autoloader, a Remington 1100 or 11-87 is a good choice. My question would be, "With an 870 express 12 gauge, why would you need a different shotgun?" Aside from the obvious, "Because I want another one !!!"

All you need is a barrel for the 870 and you have an excellent deer gun. If you anticipate your shots to be 75 yards or less, get a cylinder bore slug barrel with rifle sights, and shoot rifled slugs. For longer range, get a fully rifled barrel (either with a cantilever scope mount or rifle sights) and shoot sabots. They have an effective range of about 150 yards. If you were to get an autoloader, your barrel/ammo choices would be the same.

I can't comment on the use of buckshot with any authority, as I've never seen it in action, but my money would be on a slug, unless it was a VERY close shot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with WWB. All you need is a slug barrel. You alreadry have a fine shotgun. Mine is a Monkey Ward made by Mossberg and I like the slug barrel just fine. I have got a couple of bucks with it. One I am ashamed of. I thought it was a doe and I wanted to get out of the woods so I dropped it and when I went to field dress it, it was a button buck. The other buck was an eleven pointer. He was a nice one.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Even though you don't need another gun the 1100 or 11-87 will have the same stock as the 870.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
go with a 391 urika in 12 with a camo finish it has scope mounts already on the reciver and will fuction without flaw even on the lightest 24 gram target load to a 3" 2oz turkey load
you can't go wrong with a beretta.

G

·
It's not really a matter that I have two other shotguns as much as I want an auto-loader.

I looked at the Remington 1100 Sports model today and it was beautiful ... for around $750 from a military base exchange.

I looked up the Beretta and we're talking nearly a grand for that model.

Again I appreciate the input, however I have my mind set up on an auto loader at this point. So I'm looking for the best all around shotgun from others experience.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I think you could probably get a little better price elsewhere.
For example http://www.gunbroker.com has a Tournament Skeet version available for $680 and plenty of others out there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would go for a Benelli M1 Field with a 26 inch barrel. No you would not have to switch barrels for buckshot or slugs and they also rarely jam. The only downside is they're expensive. Have you thought about a good double gun?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts