Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this topic has been hashed out before, but I'd like to hear your recommendations for a shotgun. I'm new to serious shotgunning and I figure this is the place to ask. I have been invited to southern Illinois for the late (Dec.) deer season. I do not have an appropriate shotgun for the occasion. I do have a Mossberg 500 Persuader (8 round, 20.5" bbl) that I've shot some trap and sporting clays but I would like one better suited to a more "sporting" purpose.

I have searched the major manufacturers' websites and found that there's an amazing number to choose from. My intended use for the gun would be deer hunting this season (and hopefully others), appropriate practice in the summer and clays the rest of the year. My budget for the gun and scope is around $1000.

My Plan:
Get a shotgun with 2 barrels, one for deer and one for clays. I'd like to get a 26" barrel for clays. I'd like to get a rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount so I don't have to worry about re-zeroing the scope every time I swap out the barrels. Once set up I'd like to hit the range as much as I can.

My questions (in no particular order) are:
1. Would I be at a disadvantage or handicapped with a pump instead of auto for hunting?
2. What are the advantages of a Pump? Auto?
3. For the autos do they tend to get dirtier from the gas systems?
4. Are the gas systems a pain to adjust for different power loads? (Browning says there is no adjustment, is this true?)
5. What brand/type of scope? Fixed? Variable? Red dot? I was leaning toward a fixed 2x or 2.5x.
6. Are the Brownings and Benellis worth the extra money?
7. 3" or 3.5" chamber? Can the 3.5" chamber still shoot the 2.75" shells?

I appreciate any feedback I can get. If you see any flaws in my plan or have anything else I should consider, please let me know.

Thank you for your time,

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I had this same problem and you can take it for what it's worth but what I ended up doing was buying 2 shotguns.
I bought a Browning Gold 20 for birds and clays. Instead of buying a Barrel for that gun I paid less money and bought an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter with a rifled barrel.

A friend of mine made one simple statement to get me to this conclusion. "Monte Carlo Stock". Having this stock makes a WORLD of difference when shooting with a scope.

You can find these guns for between $160 and $230. I'd really look at the 20 ***** version. Using Remington Ultra Core-Lokt Sabot Slugs you can achieve sub 3" groups at 200 yards and actually have enough lethal energy to kill a deer out to almost 300 yards.

Something to think about. Here are some links
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... m=10869279

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.ph ... &subcat=17

http://www.remington.com/ammo/shotshell ... otslug.htm

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JL,

Great idea. :) I checked into the H&Rs and liked what I saw. I've decided to get The H&R Ultra Slugster and a Browning BPS. I chose the BPS because my son is left eyed and the BPS ejects from the bottom. It's a neutral gun that lefties (my father also) can shoot.

The best part is that the combo will come in well under a grand :D so I have money to buy accessories and ammo for practice.

Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Glenn,
I've really liked my H&R. If you shoot the God Awful loads I shoot you might want to look into getting the Limbsaver recoil pad. The model 10003 will work fine on the wood or laminate stock and can be purchased online at http://www.limbsaver.com You can also install them yourself.

The reason I shoot those hot loads (Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester Supreme Partition 1900 FPS) is because where I hunt here in TX on the mesquite prairies I sometimes can sneak no closer than about 100-150 yards. If I stand hunt I will back down to Lightfields or Remington Buckslammer at 1600-1700FPS. You could even go lighter if your not going to shoot anything outside of 100 yards.

Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you were to ask me, here's my 2 cents. I would get one of DeHaan's awsome and low priced over/unders or side/side in 12 gauge. You can get 26" barrels for deer, but I would suggest something more along the lines of a 28 or 30 inch barrel(s) for clays. Here's the website, www.dhshotguns.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.