Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading topics from this site about shotguns, and there is alot of information. I have several questions about what type of shotgun I should purchase. I will be using this gun to shot clays (sometimes) and the majority to hunt Deer, Duck, Pheasant, and maybe Turkey.

1) Should I purchase a pump or semi-auto?

2) If a pump I was looking at:
Benelli Nova
Browning BPS
Charles Daly - Field Hunter VR-MC
Remington 870 Wingmaster

3) If a semi-auto I was looking at:
Browning Gold
Weatherby SAS
Charles Daly - Superior II Hunter VR-MC
Century Centurion
Remingtion 1100 or 1187
Winchester Super X2

This will be may first shotgun, so I have looked at price vs quality. I had the chance to shot a Sportman 20 over the summer, which I liked. But I want a 12ga due to the fact I will use it for hunting. Please enlighten me. Thanks {F*

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you liked the Sportsman 20 why not stick with that? With the right loads, chokes and practice you can take any bird other than maybe geese with a 20ga. Don't get me wrong, 12ga guns are great and will give you a more shot to put on birds, but in the last 2 years I have gravitated to 20ga for just about all my hunting. I have seen a teenager new to hunting take geese at close range with a 20ga, but he is an absolutely remarkable natural shot. The gun did it's job as long as he did . Good luck.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The 1100 or the SX2, I doubt you will like the recoil involved with a pump, it certainly will knock you around with fast waterfowl or slug shells.

The 20 will be ok as well, I just don't know how limited you will be in finding waterfowl non-tox shot, or slugs for the gun

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are looking to do duckhunting , I wouldn't recommend the remmington 1100. I believe its only 2-3/4 only . A friend bought one and loves it , but he also said they are shell sensative , he can't shot 2-3/4 heavy shots . its to heavy of a load for it , the presser from the shot caused a burr in the ramp that brings up the next shell for the next round. causing the other shells to jam. also causes the cocking handle to fly off the bolt. None the less he loves the gun.

I could be mistaken on this so please check for yourself on the remmington 1100 , I am only going from what a friend told me .

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Welcome to SGW jclakatos. I like 12 gauge semi auto's so that's what I'll recomend. Out of your list of semi's I would go with the Gold, SAS, or the SX2. They all have 3" chambers that will work well for waterfowling and turkey. They are light enough that hauling them around all day while upland hunting won't be a major chore. They are well made and have a lot of features. Look at as many as you can and pick the one YOU like the best.

·
Registered
797 Posts
ber 391 is sort of right and sort of wrong with regards to the 1100.The 1100 can be had in 3" Magnum or 2 3/4" models.It's true that the 3"er will not cycle light target loads because the barrel has only one small gas port.Barrels though are plentiful and not too expensive.I use a 3" Mag reciever with a 30" single port barrel,and also with two dual port target barrels and the gun gun performs flawlessly(well,almost)when the barrels are matched to the right loads.No breakage problems either.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts