Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If it did then your barrel is crap. There should be a little constriction ahead of the chamber (which is why there are different chamber lenghts). If it came free it would most likely jam in the barrel and the rest of the wad, cup, shot would continue out. If you want slugs fire slugs, dont risk hurting yourself trying to defend yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i was feelin ballsy 2day and i decided to try it. it worked! the whole front of the shell shot out (im using a winchester with rotating lock bolt otherwise i wouldnt have even thought about it) and hit the piece of wood i shot at and went through the boards when it got to the back the shot came out of the shell and spread. if u were to use this in a hd situation u would have a projectile of a slug that spreads IN the target avoiding stray pellets hitting family members and destroying property i wouldnt reconmend this with a none rotating lock bolt. and if i could just cycle the little brass part out.
*note* i was using a slug barrel designed for 2 3/4" or 3"

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You are lucky you didn't kill yourself. Since the ammo is not designed to perform that way there is no way to ensure it will work the same each time. I would imagine pressures inside the gun were higher than safe limits.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've seen this done before, or rather the results. Didn't hurt the guy's gun (although it for sure could have), but made a real mess out of the patterning board! I think what you get with a cut then fired shell is a big, amorphous load of nasty lead and plastic that might stay together and might separate into a random spray of bits.

As a matter of fact, we recently found a bunch of cut birdshot shells (unfired) laying around the local sporting clays course. Had us all scratching our heads about who and how they got there, until one of the guys suggested that the developer building the subdivision behind the club might have an interest in planting such things and then siccing the DNR on us... it's just like people who build houses next to airports & then complain about the noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how am i lucky i didnt kill myself doing this grunts in vietnam did this all the time. plus i dont think cuttin that little bit of plastic is gonna make it explode i mean if the only thing keeping my gun from exploding during firing is a piece of $o.o2 plastic then i think i need a new shotgun

·
Registered
285 Posts
"grunts in vietnam did this all the time" Yes, grunts in RVN did a lot of very stupid things--I know, I was one. However, this I never did and never saw or heard of being done.

How many times (and where) did you see it being done? And more importantly, why was it done? Certainly not for the reasons you stated--"avoiding stray pellets hitting family members and destroying property"

"and if i could just cycle the little brass part out" Does this mean you just made your gun a single shot? Not a very well thought out exercise. Especialy in RVN.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The main danger that I can think of is you drove the chamber/barrel pressures through the roof. The inside diameter of the barrel is designed to accept the diameter of the wad and hold safe pressures. By adding the thickness of the hull to the wad, your pressures went sky high.

Another thing. You NEVER use home brewed ammo for self defense. Slotting the hull, loading with dimes or rock salt, etc...
A good District Attorney will eat you alive in court. He'll say that normal ammo wasn't good enough so you make some "more lethal" ammo and intended to kill the intruder. Not a position you want to be in.

Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok first off i know 2 people you were in vietnam- one a Search and rescue
the other was a marine in the 1st infantry div. so i do know what im talking about from what theyre told me if im wrong im sorry
but second of all if a whole case pivots on ammo rather then killing then whats that say for the lawyer?
and finally the pressure doesnt matter THAT MUCH im not sayin it doesnt but if it was that bad it wouldnt have worked, but it did

·
Registered
75 Posts
What I'm saying is that you are not going to get any sympathy from a District Attorney if you shoot someone. Why compound your problems by using "asbestos coated teflon flechettes dipped in elephant piss". Trust me, that's what you are using. You had better be able to back up ypur ammo. You need to be able to say that the reason you're using that brand of ammo is because XYZ PD is using it. A couple of Vietnam Vets told me it was a good idea is not the way to go.

And you could not be more wrong. THE PRESSURE DOES MATTER!!! Just because the barrel didn't blow the first time does not mean you did not create stress fractures in the steel. You're playing Russian Roulette.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok the barrel im using is a smooth bore skug barrel designed to take steel shot and heavy slugs. a little extra flimsy plastic and buffer will compress and just wont damge the brrel the way u think it will, and i dont care what the DA says - im not gonna comprimise when it comes to defending family members if that means compounding jail time well if thats what it takes to save my home and family then so be it. if a coked up gangster busts in your house wouldnt u want what YOU consider the best? i would.

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
Dragon,

I'm not sure what your purpose is in posting the original question or in continuing this argumentative banter. If you were seeking information, it is pretty obvious that you have rejected the ideas and opinions that you have received. If you are trying to convince us of how smart or clever your are, you seem to have struck out on that point also. You obviously have your opinions and ideas and nearly everyone else seems to have a different opinion. I think the best thing to do is simply agree to disagree and leave it at that. Feel free to shoot whatever loads you can concoct and suffer any consequences that may come because of your decision to do so. I can't think of anything more to say about it than that. Have a good day.

G

·
You guys are wasting your time trying to persuade Dragon this isn't a super idea! He'll probably want Winchester to replace the gun when it turns into shrapnel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got my first shot gun recently and even I can tell this guys a moron. People like him are the reason that a lot of people are freaked out about guns. Use them in a stupid way, get stupid results. As far as i can tell, a shotgun is about as lethal as you can get. Why mess with it in a way that could hurt you? I'm surprised he hasn't tried shooting it with stock away from him........ :lol:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Antwan said:

"I'm surprised he hasn't tried shooting it with stock away from him........"

I think maybe he did--something tells me he held it 2 inches in front of his forehead and kept pulling the trigger until it was empty.

By the way, a "grunt" (Army Infantry) is not a "jarhead" (Marine) and is not a "puke"(any sort of Pilot). It is an insult to any one of them to call them anything else--all are highly earned titles of distinction.

Enough said for me. I've vented against stupidity enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well thats alright guys i can see none of u have had the benefit of any sort of education but that alright u internet commandoes dont know any better so i forgive your ignorance but that all i have to say is that it works and ur just wrong because it does

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dragon, I think this is what you meant to write:

Well, that's all right, guys. I can see none of you have had the benefit of any sort of education. But that's all right. You internet commandos don't know any better, so I forgive your ignorance. All I have to say is that it works and you are just plain wrong. You are wrong because it does indeed work.

G

·
just because something works a couple of times doesn't mean it is something you can depend on with your life. typicaly shotgun ammo doesn't need help being more effective anyway. using factory ammo in a way other than is intended is foolishly dangerous to both the gun and the shooter.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.