Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My cousin has been having trouble with WMD's (Wildlife of Mass Destruction... CA blacktail deer) tearing up his mandarin orchards so he got a depredation permit from Fish & Game for two deer. Because his orchards border on built up areas (not complete suburbia, yet, more like "ranchettes"), Fish & Game said that high powered rifles are out, .22s or shotguns only... our opinion is that .22 is asking for trouble (and not as much fun in the carnage department), so he's asked me blast them with my Mossberg 590 using rifled slugs.

All my deer hunting has been with a .308, I've never hunted with slugs before. For those of you that have, can you recommend particular 12 gauge slug ammo as being better than any other, performance-wise on small deer at close range?

Also, is there any reason not to use Federal's low-recoil tactical slug loads?

I see no need to use 3" rounds because these deer are tiny, and they'll be close, although I may try out a 3" buckshot round for the heck of it if I can sneak within 10-15 yards (which should be a piece of cake).

Thanks for your advice!

Backcountry

[/b]

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you can sneak to within those ranges, there isn't a factory loaded 12 ga slug or buckshot that won't do the job very well. In fact, you and the deer will never notice the difference from one load to the next if you hit them in the right place. At that distance, I would probably opt for the bucksot load though because I would think that the multiple projectiles would do the job more quickly and give a better margin for error in the event that they are moving when you shoot.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Within 30yds you likely wont be able to tell much difference in the standard slugs or buckshot. Either will do the job, but I would still pattern a couple of loads as each and every gun will react differently.

However a wildlife depredation permit for only 2 deer???? I hope you can get more or you really arent going to do much at all as a single doe will produce twin fawns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick618 said:
However a wildlife depredation permit for only 2 deer???? I hope you can get more or you really arent going to do much at all as a single doe will produce twin fawns.
Like I said, its my cousin that owns the farm, and I don't know what kind of hoops he had to jump through to get the permit. He told me he had the permit and I jumped at the chance to be the trigger man.

I too thought that if the deer damage is so severe to cause him to go through the trouble to get a depredation permit, that shooting only 2 deer is kinda like swatting at flies. I'll try to get some more information on the permit process and see if he only asked to shoot two, or if that restriction was put in place by Fish & Game.

We'll probably do the deed the weekend of the 21st and yes, I'm only going to shoot does (although the permit is not sex specific). I'm saving the bucks for archery season! :)

I'll post comparison picks if I get the chance to use both a slug and buckshot.

Thanks for all your advice on ammo too... I've decided to go with Federal Classic 2 3/4" 1oz. HP slugs (I know those shoot well in my gun already), and Federal Classic 3" 000 buck if it patterns decent.

Cheers, Backcountry

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I would use the slugs if you have shot them before and take whatever they allow.

If you can use the meat make sure to do this as early as possible and have some ice and coolers handy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick618 said:
If you can use the meat...
Unfortunately, we won't be able to keep the meat. Fish & Game wants the carcasses turned over to them in Sacramento the next day. I don't know if it's for research purposes or if it's to feed the less fortunate, but Kalifornia being what it is (a liberal cesspool), the Democrats have probably banned programs like Hunters for Hunger, and the street bums are probably vegetarians.

Cheers, Backckountry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many years ago I used to work for the Clackamas County Sheriffs Office in Oregon. Several times each week Deputies and Oregon State police would bring into the jail, fresh road kill deer that had not been busted up to badly. We would pull a couple of trustees out of bed (as this mostly occurred at night) and the trustees would dress out the deer. The next morning when the cooks came in they would cut the deer up and make some of the best stews and chili's you every ate, which was feed to the inmates. But then one day inmates with nothing but time on their hands and nothing to do, sued the County and State for feeding them food that was not USDA inspected. Now the County road department will dispatch a vehicle to pick up the carcass and take it to a disposal site, that perfectly good meat is allowed to go unused and rot. That is probably what will happen to the deer that you turn in. :(

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm surprised that the permit was for only two deer? Here In Florida, I have friends that do Crop Damage Controll on deer and *****. We have some very large farms and in most cases there are a hundred or more deer killed. Florida has a very large deer herd and a long season. We do not have a season limit and can take two a day. All sex during archery....bucks only during ML and general gun. The meat is saved and used in the various projects here.
This crop damage control gives us the chance to test various ammo, both handgun and rifle. Best Regards, James

·
Registered
96 Posts
One of the worst harvest of a Deer I ever had was with buck shot...the Deer just wouldnt go down...took 3 shots,1 when she was running by at 20yds the other 2 were well placed in the vitals! Long story that Im trying to forget.
Never hunted deer with 12 ga after that but have no doubt it is effective as I have seen the results of many deer harvest with buck and slugs while growing up in East Texas.
All my "yankee" friends say a 20ga or 12 ga slug in the shoulder...not behind, and the deer drop like flies!
I guess it must bust the shoulder up good and the shock wave from impact blast/shocks the vitals pretty good! I guess if it were me, Id use any reputable 2.75 slug.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Remington Slugger or Lightfield 12 ***** 385 grain rifled slugs.

Shoot a couple of groups especially if your using your bead sight.

Both of these expand 2x and the deer should'nt get but about 20 ft.

Try to keep the shot inside of 40 yards.

Practice, Practice, Practice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.