Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shotgun Sports Attracting More Teenage Girls

SGB

NOVEMBER 29, 2005 -- The number of teenage girls participating in shotgun sports is up dramatically over the past five years, surveys show. And there's every indication that parents are pleased with their daughters' new pastime.

Across the sports of trap, skeet and sporting clays, the number of female participants age 12-17 rose 56% - from 133,000 to 208,000 - between '99 and '04, according to a National Sporting Goods Association report.

The upward trend also has been seen in the National Shooting Sports Foundation's Scholastic Clay Target Program, which in '05 alone saw an 84% increase in participation by girls from elementary- through high-school age.

"Nationwide, over a third of all female participants in shotgun sports today are under 24. There's a growing youth movement in shooting, and it's a credit to the many programs that are opening doors and creating opportunities for women of all ages to enjoy outdoor lifestyles," said Cyndi Dalena, NSSF director of shooting sports development.

In a '05 SCTP survey, 94% of parents said the competitive shooting program is a positive influence in their child's development. Overwhelmingly, parents observed improved responsibility, teamwork, sportsmanship and leadership skills. In fact, 98% of SCTP parents believe shooting is just as important as other sports, and 94% would support shotgun sports as a school-based athletic program.

"Part of the attraction and uniqueness of trap, skeet and sporting clays is that girls can compete with boys. Shooting is not all about strength or speed. It's also about coordination and concentration, and more and more girls are discovering that those skills are great equalizers," said Dalena.

Overall, there were 1,309,000 total female participants of all ages in shotgun sports in '04, up 11% from 1,177,000 in '97. Growth also is being documented in hunting. Between '97 and '04, 2,426,000 women of all ages hunted, up more than 20% compared to 2,018,000 in '98.

SCTP, now in its fifth year, provides school-age girls and boys nationwide with the chance to compete as a team for state and national championships in trap, skeet and sporting clays. Other youth development programs like 4-H Shooting Sports and the Boy Scouts of America's Venturing Program are also opportunities for youths to get involved in shooting sports.

The Becoming an Outdoors Woman program and the National Wild Turkey Federation's Women in the Outdoors program focus specifically on introducing women to activities like shooting and hunting. NWTF, the National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation and other organizations also publish outdoor or shooting magazines especially for women.

Other programs like NSSF's STEP OUTSIDE program introduce newcomers, including many girls and women, to shooting as well as hunting, fishing and archery.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Hello Joe. It was great meeting you last summer.

Thanks for sharing this information.

I don't think that Sporting clays is doing all that it could to attract more young women to the game. I think that we need to split the younger women out into a separate concurrent class and subsidize shooting clinics for mothers and their daughters. We should not depend on other programs to attract wome to the game.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, segregating them isn't going to help. It will only make it that much easier for the lurking pedophiles to identify them. But, given many are brought by their fathers or another male member( oops- er, relative I mean ), maybe the benefit is that any perverts dirtying up this sport will be promptly shot to death.

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well I'm constantly recruiting girls into the sport especially the one's around my age. Being a 15 year old boy. . . .yea. I like shooting especially with girls. lol. Most of them like shooting too. Girls r so cool .. . . lol Gotta love them right?
:)

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Michael_ said:
Well I'm constantly recruiting girls into the sport especially the one's around my age. Being a 15 year old boy. . . .yea. I like shooting especially with girls. lol. Most of them like shooting too. Girls r so cool .. . . lol Gotta love them right?
:)
LOL! :lol:

·
Registered
797 Posts
My 15 year old daughter has started shooting trap.Until the other week I had her shooting at non oscillating targets and she was starting to get pretty proficient.Two weeks ago,I had her shoot on a full squad,with the guys,at oscillating targets.She broke four of the targets.Today she really stepped it up and broke 15.I'm guessing that I'll be buying her options come springtime.
Dave

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Not directly related, but my anti gun Aunt wants me to introduce her to pistol shooting. My Uncle wants to get involved and she said "we aren't getting a gun unless I know how to use it too". There are always great opportunities to introduce women to a shooting sport and I don't think even one tenth of one percent of those opportunities are ever taken. It's good to see the stats though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Shotgun Sports Attracting More Teenage Girls, Now thats a good thing :!:

We should see all the barbie golf carts most any time, now :wink:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am interested indirectly in this topic as I have a wife, two daughters, and my two sons have girlfriends, one of whom is 5 feet tall and wants to try clays.
All of these girls are fairly petite, and my related question is: what gun for small women??? I am inclined toward some sort of 20 ga auto, as several women at our local sporting clays range seem to prefer them.
My youngest daughter shot only once with my 12 ga Browning Lightning Feather, was nearly knocked over, and handed the gun back to me with a look as if to say: "Dad, what were you thinking?" Thus, LOW RECOIL is paramount.
If this needs to be posted elsewhere, please lemme know. This is my 1st post in this forum.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Modelo, I have a feeling most people will suggest the girls use a 20g with lighter loads.

I use a 9lb. 12g but am tall and kind of strong and smaller shotguns feel like toys to me. And I think I am in the minority
of women in that regard. Even so, I still try to use a softer
shell when I can.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Modelo WELCOME to the board!!!!!!!!!!

Your question is answered by pocket depth.. I like starting them out on 12g if possible whoever use light recoil 7/8 or 1oz loads. Auto- loaders may or maynot cycle these loads.. Start out by going to a range that has rentals and get a few lessons from a certified coach it is always money well spent.... You can do in an houre or two what it will take months to accomplish.

Welcome and have fun

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Modelo,

the factors affecting gun choice for women and men are
Fit,
Weight and
Recoil

and in that order. You may have a 5' 0" woman who can move a 9lb 12 gauge, and you can get a 5'11" woman who can just manage to swing a a 28 gauge. And that is before you take into account any medical or other problems.

A 20 gauge can recoil as much as 12 - the gun weighs less and although the shell has less powder people are often surprised at the recoil of a 20.

However, the recoil is not the issue, if the woman cannot move the gun deliberately and accurately to the target because it does not fit her or is too heavy, the fact that is has little recoil is irrelevant.

Have your family try different guns, and be prepared for some to choose 12s and some to choose 28 or even 410 guns.

Roger

·
Registered
503 Posts
I know Ryan. Girls r so cool. I'm getting a lot of them to shoot over here too. That Ashley Hafley though. . . she beat the crap out of me. That's not cool. .. lol. I'll get her though. I'm a lot better than I was then. Might have to get her # too. lol.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I hope the trend continues. I've got a son (14) and two daughters (12 and 9). All of my children like to shoot. My 9-year-old cares nothing for hunting, but her eyes light up when I mention the words "gun range". :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
And ...... I'm proud to see one of our own doing well - Emily Blount ( 18 ) from Tucson has made the olympic team and I couldn't be more proud of her. To top it all off Emily is a good kid (well I suppose 18 isn't exactly a kid, but I remember her bustin' clay at 14, it was a long and expensive road for her dad) and represents the sport well where ever she goes.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was a posting saying that the 3901 was suitable for women. I think the American Citizen model. It comes in at just under seven lbs in the 20 gauge model. I have never seen one.

Beretta 3901 shotgun

http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotl ... 1_main.htm

I always found that the Beretta had a bit more felt recoil then the Remington 1100, but....

My wife shoots a 1100 in trap, 12 gauge, 30 inch barrel. 1oz loads. She also uses it for sporting clays, 26 inch barrel. It's an older model 1100.

For all the guns she has purchased, she always had to have a few inches cut off the stock.

Most women benefit from a raised comb.

She shoots a Browning 4 barrel set for skeet, she likes the weight. Shoots the 20 in the 12 gauge event...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts