Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends All...As we see more and more States ban rifles for big game, shotguns use will increase! When living overseas, I saw how good shotguns, when loaded with good slugs, could be on rather large body game. In order to plan for future posts on our testing, please vote below....Best Regards, JamesSlugs (rifled barrels)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Lets consider that most western people who hunt nowdays do it for sport, rather than because they need to kill animals to feed their families.The problem with non rifled guns is the lack of accuracy at longer distances. The spin of the bullet makes it less vunerable to changing direction due to air friction, even though due to this spinning the bullet will tend to move in a semicircular, rather than a straight path.However, for reasonable distances a shotgun can do just as good a job. It does however mean that you have to get close to your target, either by chassing it or by outsmarting it.As an advantage for the shotgun think that you can fire quite a heavy sabbot/slug, but naturally, at lower speeds. I get more pleasure chassing and shooting an animal than I do going to the butcher and buying meat.So, those who hunt for sport will still enjoy their sport.Those who just go out once a year so that they can kill adeer from half a mile away and then go home with their trophy will be in trouble. ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting observation. I have found that attitudes on big game reflect some sectional locations. Studies in the Southeast show the average distance deer are killed run around 76 yards. Attitudes also reflect game bags and season length. Here in Florida the deer season runs fron late Nov.to mid Feb., with no season limit. South Carolina, famous for the deer hunting, even starts in mid Sept. In fact there is some type of season in Florida for 8 months of the year, with wild hogs taken year round except on gov't land.Where once deer hunting aws a large social affair with dogs, we now have most of the land covered with tree stands. For many years the traditional firearm was shotguns and buckshot, now it runs toward rifles. This, however, could change overnight. Best Regards, James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes James: My big game loadings are buckshot, for the purpose of predator hunting. I am currently loading "F" Shot. I am also working with some #1 and #2 Buck. To date, I am acheiving my best killing patterns with X12X gas seals, + Cushioning, + Mylar sleeves. The best patterns always occur at velocities of around 1200fps (per your suggestions). Friend Bill

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.............! Hello there Friend Bill! Great to see you here! Be sure and post the results of your tests alsoWe are trying to establish some data from the polls in order to better serve this great shotgun group. Keep in touch as always and my Best Regards to You All, James

·
Registered
985 Posts
I use Remington Slugger 12 (rifled) slugs in my smooth bore and that gun with that load is a 125yd gun easy. I site in at 100yds and have touching groups. I hunt in WI and like most states that restrict rifle use shots on game are mostly within 100yds. I think with the modern design of firearms, ammo, and accessories any 12ga or 20ga is more than enough to take a white tail. Remember a great hunter never brags about how long a shot was but how close it was. Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts