Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a used shotmaker. I don't want to spend a lot for it, because I'm not sure if making shot is for me. If anyone has any for sale, or has any suggestions, let me know. I already checked Ebay. $375 for a Littleton is too much for me to experiment with.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Been there---done that. Dont waste your time and money unless you have nothing but time and money. It is a fun thing to do,but the results are mostly less than spectacular.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I had a triend in AZ that bought a shot maker and was selling shot to the members of the club that wanted to buy it. It was ok for skeet, where the ranges are close, but it was something less than stellar for trap. A lot of the shot was somewhat tear shaped with little tails as such and the uniformity of the shot wasn't all that good. Also a lot of the shot wasn't truly round. As I said, for close work they seemed to work as well as anything. We used to buy reclaimed (experienced) shot that the club used to get every couple of years. The only problem with that was none were perfectly round and you got all diffetent sizes in the mix.
It wasn't too long that my buddy gave up the shot making business. He said it got to be a pain in the buttstock.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have not been talked out of a shotmaker I have a Shotmaster Shotmaker that needs the 2 nozzles.
I doubt the shotmaker has been used but I have plugged it in to see if it will melt lead and it does that just fine.
Do a search, there is an older thread that is reasonably long and very informative from people that make shotmakers work.
Email me if interested

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Three of us went together and bought two Littleton doubles.We are skeet shooters.After MUCH tinkering,experimenting and cussing we have these figured out.Everything from outside temp to the level of lead in the maker will produce shot of various sizes.Bottom line-We make 1 ton at a time and carefully watch what is going on-Average size is 8's yes there are some bigger and some smaller-have not really figured out a EFFICIENT way to sort sizes.However the shot works in my 9000-with a little graphite added-for my .410 8) :wink: Shot is $30 a bag in some places with no gaurantee of availibilty.If you shoot a bunch and have the time and place to do it,I would go for it.But remember you will also need a source for lead among other neccesary equipment on top of the shotmakers-this will be another cost to factor in :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dear HOA,

You are on the correct path with controlling the temperature variables of everything.

To get better shot sizes you need equal consistency of lead head pressure. The Littleton alone just doesn't cut it for that. + or - a size is normal due to the rate of melting pig in the same vessel. Mount a Lyman lead pot over each pan and you will see a big time difference in the finished product. Get the pan temperature to a consistent 750 next.

The best sorter is an old dryer drum with a set of cylinders of preforated metal. Usually you have to make your own because the diameters are not standard. Sometimes the steel guys have them. The cylinders lengths are varied to enable collection via troughs under the open ends. Sort of like a wedding cake lying on its side. The shot pours into the inner cylinder via a non rotating gooseneck from the back. It fall from the largest diameter in the center to the smallest at the outside. 5 or 6 dylinder will do it and the diameter difference doesn't need to be more than an inch or so. Turn on the motor and slowly pour in the shot. The under troughs are sluminum gutters sloped to buckets for the different sizes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have been very happy with the homemade shot that I have purchased from a local fellow. It is equal to any factory made shot, as far as roundness, hardness, and loading.

As mentioned, if you have the time, and the patience to get it all working correctly, I would give it a shot! (pun intended) :D

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I have the Littleton shotmaker and have played around with it, producing some really good shot and some teardrops, which I find break targets just as well as factory shot.

But I wouldn't use it for loading .410 shells.

There's a lot more to it than just plugging in the machine and dropping in some ingots melted down from wheel weights, but anyone who can get the process down pat will save huge sums of money on shot.

Used wheel weights are readily available if you're anywhere near a city of any size, and even if you have to pay the current price of about 45 cents a pound you'll still save a bundle.

You'll find your main competition for available wheel weight metal are fishermen or bait shop owners who make lead sinkers, but sooner or later you'll find a tire dealer you can deal with.

Believe it or not, I couldn't get used wheel weights in this hick burg near me because the tire people reuse the damned things! Never head of such before, but they all do it around here. So I had to get a 5-gal. bucket from a local salvage yard at 45 cents a pound.

Later on, I found lots of sources in other areas and I intend to get into the shotmaking thing in earnest after I clear the decks on some other projects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.