Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know for a fact that the Winchester Supreme I'm planning to order only comes with 3 chokes: F, M, IC. Perfect for trap, but I'm mainly going to be skeet shooting.

So I'm shopping around for some new chokes (the Supreme actually takes Browning Invector-Plus).

I've looked through some old posts and it's not surprising that most are using skeet/skeet or cyl/cyl. Obviously, I'll have to just pattern a couple different ones. I shoot #7 steel, so I think I'll probably go for the widest choke I can.

But I'm wondering if I should buy 2 of the same constriction right away, or instead buy maybe 1 skeet and 1 cylinder. Then I could pattern both and then buy a matching one once I find a pattern I like. It could get a bit expensive, but it seems more expensive to buy a matching pair right away only to find out you don't like the pattern.

When you guys first bought your O/U, did you immediately get a matching pair of chokes, or did you do some patterning first?

Also, does everyone use the same brand of chokes in both barrels? Let's say I end up with a Briley in the top and a Carlson in the bottom and it just happens to work for me, is there any common wisdom that says I can't shoot with that?

thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wouldn't worry about mixing choke brands as long as they're the same style. I think it would look silly having one extended tube and one flush. If you want to try some different ones then just get them one at a time and shoot some patterns. You'll already have an IC, but if you're gonna use steel it may be a little tight. If you don't like the patterns you get stick it on ebay and get some of your money back to put into a different one. It's also not a bad place to buy choke tubes. I've bought a few for under $10 each. I use a cyl. and an IC for skeet just because I have them and it works rather than 2 of the same. I also have 2 full for trap shooting or crow hunting and 2 mod for hunting geese with steel.

·
Registered
354 Posts
FWIW, I want to pick up an improved modified for my Winchester, and I've found that Gamaliel has them at $22 + $7 shipping; Anyone know of better prices than that? Checked eBay, no IM chokes.

Thanks in advance, and hope you can use the info,

-- Sam

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, guys...

SamL, I did see that Wholesale Hunter has them for $22+$6. But, of course, with Wholesale Hunter you always have to double check to see that they really have them in stock first...

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
first have a gunsmith "mike" the chokes that came with the gun. Factory chokes are usually WAY off. You can do it yourself with a dial caliper.

I use Briley chokes.

1 skeet
1 IC
1 Lt. Mod
1 Mod

only use Cyl to shoot slugs.

What games are you going to shoot?

Yes ALWAYS use the same brand of choke. They're like tires. Don't mix and match.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Sander, Why are you shooting steel shot at skeet? Is it a requirement at the skeet club? Keith

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dovehunter,

Yes, our club sits on the edge of a lake.

The view is absolutely beautiful, but the trade-off is that we have to use steel or bismuth shot only.

But this is where I learned to shoot skeet and I've never used anything other than #7 steel so it's actually the "norm" for me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
MSCOTT said:
Cabela's has most chokes under $20 (17.99) for your IM and shipping is $6.
I checked Cabelas and am confused. They state, "Remington and Browning factory-style replacement tubes are invector+ tubes that are not interchangeable with standard invector tubes."

Ok, my Winchester uses InvectorPlus chokes. But is Cabelas saying that the Remington and Browning chokes are interchangeable? That would be odd, since the ones for Remingtons are indeed $18, but the ones for Brownings (which would be the ones I would get for my Winchester/Browning/FN gun) are $22.

-- Sam

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ysr_racer, you were saying not to mix and match chokes... (funny, I always think of the tire analogy, too) But can you explain the reasoning behind not using different brands?

I just want to understand the theory behind that...

The thing about tires is that they are working in conjunction with each other to affect the dynamics of the entire car.

But chokes aren't really working together. For all intensive purposes, you have two separate shotguns and each barrel has its own choke.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing... :) But I'd like to understand this...

thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
MSCOTT said:
Sorry, you're right, the invector+ are $22. I guess the Winchester threw me a bit.
Yes, but what I'm confused about is whether the Remington and Browning chokes basically the same thing or not. The bit about "Remington and Browning ... are invector+ tubes and not interchangeable with standard ..."

Anyone know? I guess the right thing to do is just get the Browning ones. Its not like the $4 difference is gonna break me... :)

-- Sam

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh, also, Sander: A guy I shoot with has chokes from different makers in his two barrels and doesn't have any problems. Indeed, he has a Briley extended/vented tube in one, and a flush mount in the other barrel. Looks funny, but it works for him.

-- Sam

·
Registered
293 Posts
SamL, It looks to me like you might have missed the period in the sentence before it starts saying Invector +. As far as I know, Remington fits Remington only; invector + is for Brownings with back-bored barrels and apparently some Winchesters (probably since they're the same company now); winchester standard, weatherby, and older Brownings without back-bored barrels are interchangeable. I hope that make sense. I had a Weatherby and bought Browning chokes for it because they were cheaper. I'd also like to know why chokes can't be mixed. It shouldn't be any different than puting a Carlson choke in a Remington barrel. The only problem I could see if different manufacturers has different dimentions.

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
A few comments:

Remington and Browning choke tubes are NOT the same.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having different brands of chokes in the gun (O/U or SxS) at the same time.

I do not agree that "factory chokes are usually WAY off". Some are, some aren't. ALL chokes should be patterned with the load that you intend to shoot. Simply by changing loads the pattern can change substantially.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sander: I have (3) Browning Invector PLUS tubes that might be of interest to you. They are marked as follows:
(1)Steel-imp cyl/ Lead-skeet. (1)Steel-imp cyl/ Lead-cyl.
(1)Steel-mod/ Lead-imp cyl. They are in their original "Screw-top" plastic holders.

If you're interested, they are yours for $50.00.(plus the $3.95 postage). Put two rounds of Skeet thru them.
Patterns were perfect, but the gun (stock dimensions) didn't fit me. Sold the gun & the guy didn't want these tubes, he was a trap shooter. Best to you - "Grizzly"

·
Registered
354 Posts
MSCOTT said:
SamL, It looks to me like you might have missed the period in the sentence before it starts saying Invector +.
I'd buy that too, but what I entered was a direct cut&paste from Cabela's web site.

Oh well, I figured that was the answer (that Remington and Browning are indeed different). That makes sense, I'm just easily confused... :)

-- Sam

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the offer Grizzly, but it looks like there's a guy at my club who sells them cheap to members. :D

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Chokes from different manufacturer can have different internal dimensions. Factory chokes are notorious for being off (size wise). If your barrel is .740 as mine is on my Browning 525 invector plus, the skeet chokes should be .735 and so on. I've seen factory chokes off as much as .007.

Guess what, that's the next choke size.

Chokes are cheap. Why not buy a good quality matching set and be done with it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I'm eventually going to get the matching set...

But what I'm saying is before I decide on a good, matching set, I want to test and pattern a few...

If I buy a matching pair of Brileys, pattern them, and find that they don't work well with my ammo and shotgun, then I have to sell both and move on.

If I get one Briley and one Trulock, I can pattern both at the same time. If they both work, well then, I can just stick to what I've got. If I only like the Trulock, I'll sell the Briley and get another matching Trulock.

See what I mean? I'm not looking to have a mismatched pair, I just want to try a couple different brands before I settle...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.