Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called CDNN yesterday to get a price on a Citori 525. They quoted me $1689 for a Sporting model (my choice of barrel length: 28, 30 or 32"). This seems like a killer deal, and I know that the this gun fits me very well, however, they only way they come is with those darn ported barrels - which I am not fond of at all.

I want an "all around" gun that will be used for some pheasant / chuckar hunting, and clay games (skeet and sporting). Would the 525 Sporting be a good choice, or should I look at more of a field oriented gun?

Any thoughts from the experts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Your hunting partners won't appreciate the ported barrels.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'd skip on the ported gun. IMNSHO they are a gimmick at best. And at worst it can get you un-invited to a great hunt.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Ported barrels are not good for a hunting gun.
For that matter, an "all around" "do everything" gun is not good either. There is no perfect gun for everthing. It would be "less than perfect" for more shooting activities than the shooting activities that it is "perfect" for.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to "pass" on this one. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Since TX45 wont say it, I will. Try looking at a Citori White Lightening with 28" barrels. Sweet gun. I personally like the look and feel of the prince of whales stock, you may too.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
VAByrd said:
Since TX45 wont say it, I will. Try looking at a Citori White Lightening with 28" barrels. Sweet gun. I personally like the look and feel of the prince of whales stock, you may too.
Very sweet. :D

When I get a 20 ga o/u, it will most likely be a White Lightning too!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
VAByrd said:
TX, I had a chance to take a look at the 20 with a 26" barrel. One word. Sweet.
I'll probably buy it with 28 inch barrels.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ole Cowboy said:
Ported barrels are not good for a hunting gun.
For that matter, an "all around" "do everything" gun is not good either. There is no perfect gun for everthing. It would be "less than perfect" for more shooting activities than the shooting activities that it is "perfect" for.
Please elaborate on this :roll:

·
Registered
88 Posts
That sounds like a really great price for a sporting model. I just paid the same amount for a field model in 20 ga. Good $$ in my neck of the woods. The wood on my 525 is killer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ole Cowboy said:
That's pretty self explanatory. There is no perfect all around shotgun for all shooting(hunting or targets).
While that may be the case, you could nickel and dime yourself to death between the two. If one was to shoot clays three times a week and compete on the weekends, then a field model wont be the optimum gun. Same goes to the opposite end of the spectrum. If you spend the entire fall hunting birds, and weekends traveling to hunting preserves, you wouldnt want a target gun. However, there is a happy medium. And there is a "perfect" shotgun that will fit your needs. You just have to decide if you want a gun that will be an advantage for target shooting or hunting, then slightly suffer a bit on the other. I look at my clay shooting as practice for birds, even though I spend more time chasing clays than birds, Im very happy with a field gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts