Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made it to Chicago okay. It's COLD out here. I should of stayed in SoCal but the family would just no come out that way. :cry:

In any case before I left I had a chance to play with my Moss 500 (did some dry firing). Everything worked okay, need to clean it before I actually fire it as it has a lot of oil all over it. Guess they really oil them up before leaving the manufactor. In any case back to my point.

I noticed that when I pointed the SG barrel down and then did a 180 and pointed the SG barrel to up I could hear a spring like noise. It is coming from the spring in the ammo chamber. Is this normal? There was no ammo in the chamber. Also during the point down/ point up movement the end stopper (the black part at the end of the chammber that lets you know if there is any more ammo) did not move. It was always visible but I could hear the spring as if it was moving back and forth.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I might load one shell into the magazine tube to make sure it isn't that mag spring moving.
maybe using a short spring is how mossbergs get that extra round of capacity on their 20 in SG's. could take off the barrel and check to make sure it has a mag spring for an extended magazine and not the normal 4+1 mag that comes on the non HD models.

the spring on my 870 is really pretty tight even with no ammo in the tube. if yours doesn't try to take your head off when you unscrew the cap, I'd be concerned.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hum.. I do recall that the cap where the ammo is stored was not tight at all! I did a few turns on it to tighten it but not a lot of them. Perhaps the cap was not really really tight? I'll keep this in mind when I return to my beauty in 20 days.

My first order of bussiness is to take it all apart, clean it and then tighten it up. Guess still a little afraid of it blowing up in my face if I do it wrong. :oops:

Oh mike100 don't rub it in on the climate. It was 7 deg when we landed and when you add the freaking wind chill factor it was -5 deg. I grew up in the chicagoland area but man 5 months of SoCal really did spoil me! Next year the family is going to have to come my way becuase I'm not sure I'll be able to handle aother cold winter again. I've turned whimpy and miss that nice SoCal climate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
theres a wooden dowel in the tube to limit # of shells if you want to use it for hunting. I heard the same noise on mine and a friend told me, sure enough, even the 8 shot ones have a dowel that kinda slides up and down and the noise is it bouncing off the spring. Take it out by taking the barrel off, then holding the gun muzzle down and shake it up and down, the tip of it will poke out the screw hole and you can pull it out. Check your owners manuel , it has more info

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
jediagh said:
Hum.. I do recall that the cap where the ammo is stored was not tight at all! I did a few turns on it to tighten it but not a lot of them. Perhaps the cap was not really really tight?
on a 500, that won't affect the spring at all since the cap doesn't hold the spring in. a 590 is a different story. it sounds like the spring just isn't long enough. try loading it and see what happens. i'd be worried about how reliably it would cycle...

edit: the above poster may be right. if you never removed the dowel, then that's probably your problem.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
they put a hunting dowel in a home defense gun with an extended magazine? well at least you get something you can use for hunting.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Mine had the dowel in it. I heard the same noise and my first thought was, "Uh, Oh, I bought a lemon." I got to reading and removed the dowel. No more noise.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the dowel is used to limit the number of shells? Note I have not put any shells in it yet to see how many it wil house. What is the point of a dowel on a HD SG? If that is the case that dowel is coming off. This SG is NEVER going to go hunting with just for HD.

But I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this "noise". I was concerned that I may have been given a lemon. Now at least I can rest a bit easier. :wink:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
believe it or not, my 590 has dropped a few doves. i wouldn't trust it for any shots more then 20 yards out, but it works just fine for what it is.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
When I get mine all set up, I'm going to use it every chance I get. The more familiar I am with it, the better I'll be when the chips are down.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Greathounder said:
Fedeeral law for waterfowl, duck geese, requires no more than 3 shells in the magazine. That's the plug is for.
it's 3 shells capcity(2 in the tube, on in the chamber) isn't it? i'm assuming the law is the same as the one limiting capacity while hunting migratory birds ie:dove.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts