Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my diagnosis from the doctors at Mayo Clinic about my shoulder pain... It was simply inflammation of the muscles and tendons in the exact area where I shoulder my shotgun...

The treatment recommended was 4 alleve per day for 2 weeks and if that doesn't do it for me, they will administer some sort of anti inflammatory via injections in the area... It's a relief that I won't need surgery and that I didn't do any permanent damage..

It's kind of obvious I was shooting too much with too heavy of loads and with not enough protection... In the future it's only 7/8 - 1 oz for me and I will be cutting down on my shooting for sure... Nothing but limbsavers on my guns from now on and I will be using my shoulder pad in addition...

You all can learn from my mistake if you ever get the urge to do a lot of clay target shooting... Take care of your shoulder... Because the constant recoil can do some damage....

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Brian:
Be happy that you do not have a rotator cuff injury. That was by far the most pain I have had in my life. Since it is an over use/inflamation I would think that they would have you putting ice on it. As I was recoving from RC surgery ice was a tremendous help in reducing the pain and swelling if I over did it.

Listen to the doctor and your PT. Shoulders are very complex and they are slow to heal. Don't try to rush your recovery. Don't try to rush it!

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Brian,

I don't know which of your guns did the damage but I'll bet not all of them are the same weight / dimensions. So a couple of things come to mind....

Get thee unto a hard core gun fitter / coach. It might be something in your mount, gun fit or stance that is giving you grief.

Limbsaver / Kick EZ definitely. I swear by the latter.

Semi auto? I shoot 3" mangnums through a AL391 fitted with a Kick EZ .... nae bother.

Search around for some competitive shells with low recoil. There is a Hull Chrevron low noise that is very soft shooting but still clocks 1360 fps and recycles my semi.http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/competition/chevron.cfm

Hull are owned by Kent / Gamebore who advertise "Kent 'Velocity' Super Sporting Clays" 1 1/8th low recoil loads on their US distributors sites as per http://www.firearmservice.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page7.html If they are Chevrons in a fancy weskit they'll suit you very well. I can shoot them all day long.

Best of luck with the wonky hinge!

Eug

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Sorry to hear about you shoudler. Now that you have some down time. Yes get a good recoil pad, Stock weight for anti recoil.
My be you might want to see if the gun fits you right.
Now it time to look for a softer recoil shell. 1oz light load could work.

My wife shoots a lot 500 to 1000 round a week when she shooting at ATA shoots. (that includes practic )

She shoots a PFS on her Beretta with 1oz loads and don't complain at all.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All my guns fit fine...

1000 rounds / week would be ok if the loads are very light...

I think for me, 50 rounds / week would be better... It will save me a lot of money also...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Best wishes, Brian.

Hope the first treatement works, but if not, cortisone can be a big help. My oldest brother had a partial rotator cuff tear. Doc said let's try rest and cortisone before we think about surgery. The rest and cortisone worked. I don't think he'll be playing anymore softball or baseball this lifetime (heck, he's 53), but he still shoots both shotguns and golf just dandy and without pain.

Mark

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wow, that's crazy how a life of shotgunning can do that.

Don't get addicted to those pain killers now!

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
astomb said:
Brian:
Be happy that you do not have a rotator cuff injury. That was by far the most pain I have had in my life.
They say that our scars are a roadmap of where we've been... and apparently I've been a lot of places! Three knee surgeries, at least 7 casts that I can remember, over 400 stitches... and nothing, I mean NOTHING hurt as bad as the torn rotator cuff!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theq1994 said:
Don't get addicted to those pain killers now!
If this was addressed to me, I haven't been taking any narcotic painkillers... I don't see where anyone was talking about them here ...

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
i think he was just kidding you... Although one can get addicted to NSIDS.

Glad your going to be feeling better soon. Ice is better used when the injury is fresh to stop fluid from getting into the area. After that it may not help, and could slow your recovery a bit as the body is not able to repair with all that cold going on. (everything slows down, including healing.)

bd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.