Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a good side by side for upland hunting for under about $1700 dollars. It also needs to be new. I know this narrows the field but any help would be very much appreciated. THANKS

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Check out the Ruger gold label.Great gun but just over your limit. That's about all you will find for a good new sxs for under $2,000.
Hope it helps :) .

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Guest--

Welcome to Shotgunworld! I hope you'll consider registering and becoming part of our exteded family of shotgun devotees. Lots of great info here--I know I've learned much :)

Regarding side by sides, there's something of an odd polarity involved in the market. New ones seem to be either fairly cheap (and with a SXS, perhaps more than any other gun, you get what you pay for) or very expensive. The Ruger would seem to be your best possibility. The jury is still out on it as far as reliabilty, etc., since it's quite new. My own experience with Ruger guns has been universally positive--if one didn't work, they readily took it back and fixed it. Others may tell you differently. I have not had much direct experience with the Gold Label.

You can buy a decent used SXS for $1700. Any reason you have to have a new one?

Check back from time to time and let us know how your search came out!

All the best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well I would forget the Ruger gold lable as it is not out in stores yet. Been on their site for about a year and a half maybe two. So far the only way to see one is at a sports show that Ruger has a booth at.

For under $1700 new well that sure cuts out a lot of good SxS that I would take over the options out there now, but it is your money.

You might be able to slip into a SKB 385 for $1700

A Charles Daly Superior

Fabarm Classic lion

Weatherby Orion or Athena

Tristar Brittany and Derby

Traditions Elite Series

I would like to say a Franchi Highlander but I have never seen one in the stores either.

With out the Franchi and Ruger in there I would say your best bet is the Weatherby Athena

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks John305--forgot all about the Weatherbys, and of course you are right!

Jeff23

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why new? You could probably find a far superior gun lightly used at that price than you could of anything I've seen mentioned, save the Franchi.

I'd look at Ugartechea, Winchester Model 23 or 24, SKB, L Ave,
LeFever, Beretta, Ithaca, Bernardelli, AyA Model 4 and 53 and Simpson.

Patience is the key to good SxS shopping. The really good deals are out there but not easy to find.

Birdbrained and Jeff23 where are you guys on this?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I think we posted almost at the same time JLP--see above, my original post, not the second one about the Weatherbys. I pretty much asked the same question you did, proving once again that great minds think alike :lol:

By the way, sorry to take us slightly off topic, but here is something I've been wondering lately--no success getting Marland to comment in "gun value," since the guy's out driving his combine every day and night right about now, bless him. Why is it that Winchester model 24's don't cost more? I know they're not model 21's, but they seem to me to be very servicable field guns, decently well-made. Yet they rarely fetch more than $500 used, if that. What am I missing? I know little of their history and manufacture as yet.

Jeff23

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
My best guess is the Model 24 is just the plain jane utility gun of the bunch. I've seen hundreds of them and they all are really vanilla like the 311's.

I've got the urge to go out and buy one but bowhunting is upon us and I really need a new bow worse than I need a shotgun right now, plus the wife (former accounting professional) thinks that the bow budget, shotgun budget and general hunting budget are all the same and until I can convince her otherwise, they are.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks for the opinion on the Winnie 24. I too have noticed that wives do not seem to understand the correct accounting procedures for shotgun buying. For example, I sell an 870 with a spare barrel for $300. It's clear to me and, I'm sure, to all who are reading this, that if I then buy a different shotgun for $394, that I've just made an "even" trade. She never sees it that way :lol: Right now I'm trying to think up a creative way to break the news that I bought a used entry-level muzzleloader.

Good luck with the bow--fortunately I haven't taken it up, YET. I'm sure it's addictive 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts