Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old shotgun like the one here in the pic. The sight closest to the chamber looks like it is a one piece ring that is mounted between the receiver and the barrel. I was wondering if it could be tapped left or right to correct the POI of the pattern. My shotgun is in near perfect condition, so I don't want to start wacking on the sight unless I know it can be moved/adjusted.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Unless you are shooting slugs, a back sight is not used on a shotgun. Apparently slug shooting is the reason it was installed in the first place.

To answer your question about moving the pattern's point of impact, the answer is, probably not. There is probably too little metal in the sight base to allow moving the sight far enough to make enough difference in the pattern's POI, depending on how much you want to move the POI, of course. 1/8" inch of movement would move the pattern something like 5 or 6 inches at 35 yards and an eighth-inch is a lot of movement for a rear sight.

If the sight were moved, your head would also have to move to align your eye with the sight. That could introduce a new set of problems, depending on which way your head would have to be moved.

Again, rear sights are not used with shot shells when shooting moving targets. It just doesn't work. The cheek needs to be anchored to the stock by means of cheek pressure on the comb during swings.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I was unable to find the outfit I was looking form - Hydeal and a fellow named Scott. His website is unavailable.

I found two companies that make and sell aluminum add-on ribs, http://www.keensights.com and http://www.alguns.com.au/ribs.htm and there are others.

Ahh, here's a delrin rib supplier: http://www.devaultind.com/delrin ribs.htm. Note a comment on my ts.com thread before making a final decision. It is the first negative comment I have read concerning Devault Industries.

I will continue looking for Hydeal. Scott sent me a rib as a sample when I was considering adding one to an 1100 a few years ago. I decided to sell the gun and returned the rib to Scott but it was beautifully made and a work of art at about $70.00 as I recall.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sight base is actually a ring that goes around the barrel. To me, it feels like it wasn't aligned properly when it was the shotgun was made. The real queation to any gunsmiths out there is whether or not this ring can be rotated to correct for a left or right POI problem.

Yes, for shooting normal shot loads, I mostly just point and shoot. But for buckshot, I'd like to be able to aim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey guys,

the sight ring most likely can be adjusted, but i would take the barrel off first to get a better look at how it was installed, if you are not comfortable with doing this then a trip to a local gunsmith will help you greatly, they should not charge much for something like this :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.