Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do fiberoptic beads make that much difference to you when hunting dove? How do you adjust your aim when shooting at fast moving targets such as dove? I average about 7 shells a bird and I am not sure that I am putting the bead in the right spot in relation to the bird.

I typically lead them by about 1/4-1/2 inch (perspective as looking down the barrell on a 25-30 yard shot) Is this too much, too little? Should I always strive to just put the bead on the bird and let followthrough do the rest of the work?

Like I have mentioned before, I am new at this and trying to gain as much knowledge as I can. Thanks.

Bushman

·
Registered
18 Posts
My lead all depends upon the angle of the bird. If the bird is flying perpendicular (Sp?) to me then I lead it about three fingers. Less depending on the angle. That is somthing you will just have to get a feel for. I recommend going and shooting skeet or better yet sporting clays to get some good practice in. However, nothing beats time in the field.

Happy hunting,
CC

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Bushman,
I'll bet your hunting with a Modified choke and/or valuepak shells.

If you are, try opening the choke to improved, get some better 1oz or 1 1/8oz shells (Remington Shur-Shot or heck even some Remington STS) and give it another go.

If I'm wrong then Tal/IL (member out here) says that a crossing bird flying 45mph with 1200fps shells at 35 yards should be lead by 6.6feet.

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
If you are determining your lead by 1/4", 1/2", 3 fingers, or a similar method measured at the muzzle, you are doing it WRONG :!: The correct way is to project the line of the muzzle out to the TARGET, not to bring the target into the muzzle. Look at the target and then estimate the lead by the distance where the target is now and where your muzzle is pointed out at the TARGET distance. That way, you concentrate on the TARGET, not the muzzle.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Well said Ulysses,
I need to go hunting and shooting with you for about a month just to soak up some of your left over knowledge.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
On the original question about the fiberoptic sight... to each his own, but I've found them to be a terrible distraction.

When I shoot, I'm not even aware of the barrel or the bead - I just look where I want to shoot and pull the trigger. The Hi-Vis sights just distract me from the target.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ulysses is so right! The only thing I've done consistently correctly in my otherwife iffy shotgunning career is to look at and focus on the target, not the barrel or sight. My pop taught me this and it stuck, thank goodness. The hardest shooting I do is at sea ducks, mostly scoters, who are whistling by at a furious rate, usually with a following wind, while I sit or stand in a boat that's pitching up and down in a tide rip in Long Island Sound. I don't connect often, and I burn up enough Bismuth to buy Fort Knox. Our rule is, "lead the first duck in the line as far as you can, and you might hit the second one." By the time I looked thru a fiberopitc sight, calculated the lead by transferring it to the bead etc., the scoters would be in Rhode Island laughing. The only use I can see to sights on a shotgun is for deer and turkey. My two cents :lol: Good question, Bushman!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bushman, in the long run (and not so long at one bird for seven shots) you will recover the cost of a two hour shotgun shooting class. Trying to learn proper mount, swing and lead methods by yourself is a long, frustrating and expensive process--and besides, it isn't much fun.

I'll guarantee you, the cost of a two hour class will be fully recovered this hunting season. And, the season will be so much more fun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff I may have mislead you. I really meant the little Hi vis bead on the end of the barrel I have no rear sight up close to me... I think I get what you are saying. I am shooting a fixed modified choke gun... Probably need something that shoots a more open cylinder.. I am using federal or remington ammo. Cheap but not valupacked.

I also think that I have learned that I really do need to pattern the gun with several different types of shells to find out what works best with my gun. VERY VERY good info. I have learned more in the last two days than I have in two years of "trying" to hunt on my own. I will look for a class also! Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just blew 20$ on a hiVis sight. I tought it looked so cool on TV and in the store on the guns. I went to the range and tought it was ok. Then I went to the field, and found that it was distracting me from the target. I was focusing on the bead and not the dove. I would use it if you like the looks and are hunting slow moving game.

I say keep it simple. Classic bead is all you need.

Maybe I will mail mine to you. 40$ ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bushman: Much of what I'm going to say, has been mentioned by many of the other gentlemen who have posted, but let me say some of their thoughts in a different way!

1/ (Always remember) You AIM a rifle.... You POINT a shotgun!
2/ You always MUST focus on the target(bird,clay or whatever).
Anything you have on the end of the barrel that will possibly
distract your ability to focus ON THE TARGET, will lower your
percentage of "hits".
3/ Many of the best shots (both clay bird shooters and upland
hunters) that I've been acquainted w/ over the last 50 years
NEVER see the end of their barrel(s) (not alone a sight or a
bead), when they pull the trigger.
I even know some who have removed the standard little
bead that comes on most shotguns.

If your gun (stock) fits you properly.... If you learn* the proper technique of mounting your gun.....If you learn* how to "swing" along the flight path of your target and, again, IF YOU FOCUS on the target and practice, practice, practice -- you will become a "GOOD SHOT". (*) Learn by either a "qualified" instructor or by reading instructive books, by authors such as Mike McIntosh.

Remember, if your gun "shoots where you are looking" (and obviously you're looking at the target") -- realizing of course you must incorporate a certain amount of "lead" based on distance to target; angle of flight; speed of target etc, etc.,
you will increase your number of "hits".

No "sight" of any kind will help you become a better shot -- it will only distract you and make things worse. These are my "humble opinions", but they've worked for me! "Grizzly"

·
Registered
184 Posts
As I said......Its best for me in low light. My eyesight starts to go to hell around twilight due to astigmatism. I just can't put that brass or white end sight where I need it. So it does help me.
When I first purchased mine a coupla' years ago, it also distracted me. I just had to get used to it and connect the end of the barrel to the bird and NOT aim and... voila ! Bird down !

G

·
I guess I fall in with wwb, jeff23, and dtberkley. I never see the bead when I'm shooting birds, just concentrate on the target. If I had to to tell you how much I lead one, I'd be lying if I told you. I do pretty well on quail, ring necks and doves, but ruffed grouse are story for another day. Everything just seems to come together when tracking (pass through) and firing. It's just one natural motion. The "internal computer" does the work, and I haven't a clue on how or why it works.

I have two Ithaca 37s (12 and 16 guages) that I really like. However, if there's one thing that I dislike about them, it's their high-viz front sights. I find them a wee bit distracting. No real problem, just a slight annoyance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got a buddy that works at the gun library at Cabela's. He got himself a new Beretta Optima (autoloader). It HAD one of those fancy fiber optic beads on it. Looked real swell, too. One day he was at station 5 and he noticed it wasn't there anymore. Some time latter when I noticed it was gone, I asked him where it went.
" I don' know...but I'm shootin' better without it."
IMHO it's a gimmick. It's fragile and you don't need it. Another one of those ingenious solutions to a non existant problem

·
Registered
297 Posts
Must be a personal preference thing. I went out yesterday and shot 86/100 on a tough sc course. I was using Value Pak Winchesters and my trusty Hi-Viz Sight :shock: . I can't claim that I will continue to use the value pak shells, I agree that they are junk. My wife gave them to me for christmas so I figured I better go ahead and use them. However, I love my hi-viz sights. I watch the clay as I shoot, but I love the fact that I can see that bright orange dot in my peripheral vision. For ME it helps take the guess-work out of shooting. However, if you try them and find yourself centering on the bead instead of the bird you are asking for trouble.

P.S. Try Pure-Gold chokes if you can. They must be pretty good to pattern well with the "Value Pak" loads

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.