Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am sure we all have Silicon cloths for our guns...
And they all dry out relatively quickly and looses it stuff.

Can one use Automotive Silicone lubricant (the spray can) to refresh the silicon in the gun cloth???
(to spray on the cloth, not the gun)

·
Registered
185 Posts
just be carefule because stuff like Armor-All has water in it...You could probably respray your cloth with the silicone spray from a hardware store...bout $1.99 a can.
Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a "treated cloth" from Hoppes that must be twenty years old now that has never dried out. It came in a zip lock bag with Hoppes famous "9" printed on the outside. It has a waxy feel to it but I do not know what it truly is. It does a good job of wiping fingerprints and smudges off of my long guns after cleaning or handling. None of these guns have rust on them, not even my 870 Express models. I do not spend any time knee-deep in the swamp hunting although I do shoot in the rain, snow or whatever.
I don't know if they still make the "treated cloth" but I'm thinking that perhaps I should get a spare!
Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, definitely "Silicone" libricant only - not Armorall like stuff.
Actually the stuff i have is "Pyroil multi-purpose Silicone Lubricant" , but i've seen other brandnames that specificly say "Silicon" lub. And i did resatruate a old dried out silicone cloth with it last nite. This morn(after the spray propellant smell has gone), the cloth smells the same as a new silicone cloth i have. I think the silicon spray can IS the same stuff.

I keep one of those silicon cloths in the zip lock bag (yes, they do still sell em) in each on of my shotgun cases right along with the shotgun just for convienience, and have for years. The silicone does seam to last longer than a light coat of oil - the cloth just looses its stuff over time.

We'll see, smells right, feels right - I went for it and refreshed a couple old ones...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to agree, the Hoppes #9 cloth seems immortal. I have been faithfully treating 12 long guns for over 10 years now with the same cloth. It seems to work as good as the day I opened the bag.

When it comes to a silicone spray, be wary of any food grade silicone sprays. These are excellent quality silicones, but I have had trouble with cold weather operation in my 11-87. They seem to work well in the summer, but not that well in the frost.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
I "freshen" mine perodically with some Birchwood Casey Gun Sheath.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Garcia" brand, "Silicone All-Purpose Gun & Reel Cloth".

About 25 years old, has holes in it and frayed, but still does the job.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Much to the chagrin of my fiance, I was cleaning my 391 in the kitchen a few days ago and I was the sink with my aerosol can of Breakfree CLP. I was blastin the valve assembly I think and there was all sorts of overspray going into the base of the metal sink. By the way, I too wish they could put the CLP in a aerosol can that would produce a fine mist spray versus a stream of snot at about 100 mph. Anyway...

I turned on the water to see what would happen as I have always heard that CLP is suppoed to produce a film that is pretty resistant to moisture. Sure enough days later, when you shut the wate off, you can see exactly where the CLP spots are. Pushes the water right out of there. Point of all this is that I found and purchased what amounts to basically a Si cloth but its treated with Breakfree. It comes really soaked and leaves a very heavy layer of protectant behind for a wipe down rag. So far so good, just thought I would throw my .02 in.

-Drew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts