Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a silver hunter from Bass pro for $699.00. I had not heard much about this gun and was surprised to find one there. I bought it because it seemed to fit real well, just closed my eyes and shouldered it and it was right there. It also seems real light and i think its a good lookin gun also.
I have put 500 rounds through it so far, mostly federal and AA's, both 1 1/8 ounce loads and 3 DR.eq with out problems, but i tried a 2 boxs of winchester universal with the same specs as the others and it would fail to cycle or just hang up while ejecting the spent case in approx 1 in 6 rounds. When i chambered a few of these they were alittle tight going in the chamber. My mossberg 1000 has had a few issues also(not as bas as the browning though) with these rounds, And in the 18 years that i have owned that, these are the only rounds its ever had any issue with.
Has anyone besides myself had problems with these rounds?
Also has anyone had any experiance with the silver hunter? there is not alot info out there on it.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
I have seen these Winchester shells cause problems with other semis on a few different occasions. If I remember right the wad creates a bump on the hull. The Golds have pretty tight tolerances so a shell with a bulge in the side is not good for cycling. The Winchester Super Speed Extras that are 1oz at 1,350fps seem to work well, at least they have for me. They are also cheaper than the Universal loads.

The Silver Hunter seems to be a cross between the Gold Classic (receiver), Fusion (mag & recoil tubes and rib), and Winchester SX2 (bolt). My guess is they weigh similar to the fusion at just under 7lbs. They are great looking guns for sure.
Does this model have the speed load feature and a magazine cutoff?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
It doesnt have a magazine cut off or the speed load feature. I also think it has the fusion rib, the barrel says gold on it. They seem to have raided a few differant parts bins to put this one togeather, which isnt bad. So far im happy with it.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Thanks for the reply mgw40. I would have been suprised if it had the mag cutoff and the speed load because it has the SX2 bolt. Looks like Browning is doing the same thing with the SH as Beretta is with the 3901.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.